Ask
    tfrowe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 09:45 AM
    How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes
    How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Are you speaking of federal or state taxes? It generally depends on the amount of your income as well as the number of dependents you have. Usually taxes are withheld from your pay by your employer. These are estimated payments based on your earnings, coupled with the number of dependents you indicated on your W-4 form when you were first hired. After you receive your W-2 statement (by Jan. 31 of the following year), which reconciles your earnings and taxes paid, you file an income tax return to determine how much tax you actually owe. If your employer's withholdings resulted in an overpayment you are refunded the difference. If your withholdings were inadequate then you have to pay the difference directly to the IRS or state government. Although individual state laws vary, the process is very similar for both federal taxes and state taxes in those states which levy an income tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
    For federal income taxes, you must earned at least $8,700 to be REQUIRED to file a tax return.

Now, it may make sense to file even if you do not make this much in order to claim a refund for income taxes withheld.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make money on Runescape [ 28 Answers ]

Hey guys, if you wanted to find ways to get money on RS, I got some. 1. you add a person named "Logs Wc Co" on your friends list. When he goes on, ask him for a woodcutting job. He will ask you to get as many NORMAL logs as you can. Give it to him in increments of 500 logs or 1K logs. Yes, he...

How can I make money using my computer? [ 2 Answers ]

Im always seeing these commercials about working at home using your computer. There are so many of them that I have to believe its just another scam. I don't want to be a billionaire, I just want to make as much money as I would at a normal job. Im not really good with computers, but I can learn!...

Money order [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I cash a money order written out to me. I don't have a bank account

View more questions Search