Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jul 3, 2005, 07:30 AM
    When should an old lipstick be thrown out?
    I was cleaning out some drawers and found some old cosmetics.

I know that all eye and face products should not be used past say six months because of bacteria concerns.

Is this true of lipsticks too?

When should an old lipstick be thrown out for health reasons?

Thank you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2005, 06:31 AM
    Lipstick
    Hi,
    Lipstick up to 4 yrs might be useable. But, if it smells rancid, throw it out. It can cause fever blisters.
    Here is a link with "shelf life" of other cosmetics:

http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptri.../shelflife.htm

Best wishes,
    fredg
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Jul 4, 2005, 07:18 AM
    Lipstick is made of mostly animal fats it goes rancid after about 1 year. It often changes colors and becomes brittle. Toss it besides new colors are more fun.
    Minty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 10:53 PM
    When should an old lipstick be thrown out?
    I once used an old lipstick and the area around my lips developed a rash . First ly, I could not make out why I got the allergy. Later we realised that it was due to the lipstick.
    c7c7 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 09:33 PM
    My mother has worked for Lancome for 20+ years, and I can safely say that from what she's told me, lipstick definitely needs to be thrown out after, say, two or three years. With mascara, it is about one or two years. When it starts to dry up and get clumpy, obviously, throw it out.
    Skinwhite Posts: 77, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2005, 05:48 AM
    I thought mascara had to be thrown out every 3 months?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 4, 2005, 05:51 PM
    It's not good to keep a lipstick for up to 4 years. Lipsticks should be thrown out in 1 to 2 years. If the color starts to change, do not use it, toss it out right away.

It's best to throw away a mascara after 3 to 6 months. It will prevent you from getting microbes and the risk of an eye infection. Also, do not add water or saliva to moisten dry mascara because that will introduce bacteria.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 4, 2005, 06:09 PM
    When it doesn't go with anything you wear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"air time" and velocity of object thrown upwards [ 2 Answers ]

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 27.0 m/s. Neglecting air resistance, how long is the ball in the air? What is the greatest height reached by the ball? And calculate the first time when the ball has half of its initial velocity. Thank you!

Lipstick make & color on a music video [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about finding out the make and color of a lipstick worn by an artist (Nelly Furtado) on a music video ("On the Radio")?

Dog Won't Eat - Has Thrown Up :( [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my 4.5 year old black lab threw up. He is an outdoor dog, but sleeps in his crate inside at night and when we get home from work he comes inside with us. Usually he sleeps the entire night, but this morning he got us up at 2:30 am (I let him out and back in). Then around 4:30 am...

View more questions Search