Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soluna Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Ceiling texturing after popcorn removal
    Hi,
    We're renovating a condo built in the 70's and have chosen to remove the popcorn ceiling. We've just about finished the removal and will be sanding, repairing, and priming. We're struggling with whether to texture the ceiling before painting or not. Looks like someone has come into the condo fairly recently and applied a knock-down texture to most of the walls and to the one part of the ceiling that didn't have the popcorn. We're under a bit of a time and energy constraint and don't really want to hassle with the knock down. Any thoughts?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 6, 2006, 10:29 AM
    When I removed the popcorn from the ceilings of my home (built in 79), I just applied a light texture with a texture gun and hopper. I did not bother to knock it down, and the results were good. The texture helps to hide imperfections that might otherwise take many more applications of mud and sanding. Before you begin the patching process, rescrew the ceiling to the ceiling joists with the appropriate drywall screws. Many houses built about that time used nails to attach the drywall to the ceiling joists. Those nails have probably pulled loose and caused sags in the ceiling. Good luck.
    Soluna Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Thanks for the input and the tips on the drywall (screwing it in to reinforce). I haven't noticed any sagging but I'll check it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan removal [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, We have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan in our house (installed before we moved in). We want to move it to another room and are having trouble dismounting it From it's current location. We lowered the disk that contains the two light Bulb sockets and see a nut on a hollow shaft with wires through...

Asbestos in popcorn ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

Wife wants me to remove popcorn ceiling from our 1956 ranch. Have heard that from this era it may contain asbestos. Have worked with all sorts of nasty stuff and I know usually dangers with stuff like this is usually repeated, long term exposure. Breathe in enough sand or grain dust over time...

Texturing walls in new closet [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings everyone! I have a question about a possible shortcut. I'm finishing the walls in a new closet I built. I plan to tape and mud the joints just once over, rather than going through the effort of really smoothing them out with multiple passes... and as such, I will need to hide the...

Question about Texturing a ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I read on-line on a do it yourself page to prime the ceiling first so after scraping the popcorn and patching all the nail dimples and repairing all the little scrape marks so I wiped the surface with a rag and primmed it with Kilz 2 Primmer. When I went to home depo to get some stuff for the...

Ceiling Fan - Light kit removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan - model CC 52HD. It currently has a light kit attached to it and I'd like to remove it, but need the "cap" that should fit over where the light kit currently is attached. Anyone know where I can find one of these? Are they standard?

View more questions Search