Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clifthangers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Sewer gas smell under the home and in the home
    I had a plumber out because I have a sewer gas smell in the home he first replaced a small cap / vent under my sink that is supposed to keep gas from coming inside. That did not work then we found a leak from the kitchen sink that was dumping water under my home on the dirt ( I have a crawl space )after repairing the leak he told me it should go away. I opened the crawl space vents and set a fan at the crawl space opening to let the gas out. It is now getting below freezing at night and we are unable to keep our windows open and I have closed the crawl space door so the pipes won't freeze but my house and under my home are smelling even worse than before the leak was fixed. My whole family is getting sick and we are being put off by the plumber. Should the smell be gone away by now 4 weeks later. And is their anything I can do myself to fix. I have run a 30' snake through the roof vents and found nothing. Please Help!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Go to a garden supply store and purchase a bag of quick lime. Spread it around the crawl space where anything leaked out. USE EXTREME CAUTION!
    Wear protective clothing and gloves plus safety goggles and do not expose any part of your body to it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Sewer GAs in my home [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lift station in my basement. When my furnace kicks on in the same room the smell of the gases are RANK. What can I do to eleiminate this odor. I have had different people take a look at this and all they do is pour bleach into the pit! What do I do to solve this problem, it really...

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

New home with sewage smell [ 3 Answers ]

We have a new home with private septic tank. All plumbing fixtures have vents except for kitchen island which has a gravity fitting on it that is supposed to fight odors escaping through the drain. We have had our plumbers come out several times regarding sewage smell. It started in the master...

Smell Invading Home [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into our 35 year old house 3 years ago. Ever since we moved in, we have experienced and suffered from a rotten egg type smell intermittently. Sometimes we can go a month without smelling it, other times we smell it for three days in a row. We can't locate the source as it quickly...

View more questions Search