Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdswaney Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Dish network hookups to DVD HDD, TV, and DVD player
    I have a Dish Network 301 Satellite box
    I want to hookup a Pioneer DVD-640H HDD, so I can record from my dish channels to my DVD and/or HDD, I have an older Panasonic TV that has connections: ANT 1, ANT 2, audio (re-white RCA type) and also S-Video input and RCA a/v (yellow-red-white) input.

I also would like to connect a DVD Player, so I can watch DVD's on my TV (I don't really want to use my Pioneer DVD HDD just to watch DVD's, only want to use it for recording)

I hope someone can help

Steve
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
    For your configuration, the best picture quality will be s-video. Connect the Dish output to the Pioneer input via s-video. Connect standard audio (red,white) cables to corresponding connectors. Connect the Pioneer output to your TV using s-video, and of course red and white audio cables.

Your DVD player will have an s-video output needed for best picture quality. If there is a another s-video jack, perhaps on the front of the TV, you will have to use that, since the other one is being used. Again audio cables to the corresponding connectors.

If you don't have another s-video input on the TV, you could use the standard a/v connections (yellow,red,white) for the dvd player, although dvd quality will look like vhs.

Another solution is to buy an AV receiver with multiple s-video inputs, and 1 or 2 s-video outputs, which can connect to your TV. This solution will give you surround sound, and expandability for connecting other devices, like a gaming console, for example.

Mar 6, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Thanks HVAC888
    I understand the first paragraph, but I don't understand "what I am connecting in the second paragraph". What am I missing?

Mar 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
    You mentioned you wanted to connect a DVD player in addition to the Pioneer.

But your TV only has 1 s-video input, which is currently being used by the Pioneer, since s-video is the best quality for your TV, you won't be able to connect a dvd player at the same time, unless you don't mind the hassle of disconnecting one, and connecting the other or settling for vhs quality by using standard a/v cables.

Mar 9, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Hi HVAC888

I finally received a couple of my s-video and a/v cables I orderd from Amazon but not all.

I connected everything per your instructions, by the way, Thanks for your help.

RF Satellite (Dish Network) coming from connected to STB---component cables out to Pioneer 640 "Line 1 Input---S-Video & a/v out to tv.
    Didn't have a picture, just a very snowy and noisey blank screen.
    On the front of my TV with the channel up-down, power buttons is a button called "TV" that
    buttons toggles between TV and Video Mode. When I pressed video mode I had a picture but no sound, so I opened the drawer on the front of the Tv "the one that has all of the color adjustments, etc. there is a button named S-Video and Video push the button in for one, out for other. I switched the button to S-Video and now I have sound and piture.
    Everything works, played a homemade DVD just to make sure I had everything hooked up correctly. It Works

But if I turn the Pioneer 640 off the TV also goes off--turn recorder back on-picture picture (sat) comes back on.

Steve

Mar 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Since the Pioneer turns off the dish signal, you can leave the dish on all time time and switch the Pioneer, or vice-versa.:)

Mar 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Thanks HVAC888

Turning the Pionner 640 off does not turn the sat box or the TV OFF, it just doesn't have audio/video on the TV, just a blank screen but the TV is still on. I don't think I would want to leave the TV on all the time, so I guess I'll just have to live with having the PIO640 on when we are watching TV. I thought maybe, that I might have hooked something up wrong and/or missed a step or a mode, etc.
    Again thanks for your help,
    Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a DVD player with Satellite Dish [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 52 inch Toshiba HDTV that is already connected to a DISH network satellite. I would like to connect a DVD player and have no idea how to connect. I may also need help with figuring out which remote I use. Currently I have to use the TV remote that just turns on the TV and the DISH remote...

How to connect DVD player directly to Dish Network DVR receiver [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just got a new DVD player and I need some help connecting it. I already had my TV connected to a Dish Network DVR receiver. My TV is older and only has one cable connection on the back of it, which the Dish Network receiver is connected to. When I got my DVD player, I was under the...

Connecting a DVD to The Dish [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect my new DVD player - with white, yellow and red jacks - to the back of the Dish receiver's red, white and yellow jacks? I've tried but get no picture or sound.

How do I connect a combo dvd/vcr to a dish network satellite dvr/tv? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a combo dvd/vcr to a dish network satellite dvr/tv?

View more questions Search