Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pysiek Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 07:03 AM
    How to split outlet controlled by switch?
    I have a outlet that have 2 connections. This outlet is controlled by a switch. I would like to make one connection in this outlet to be controlled by the switch and the other one live all the time. How do I do it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 07:26 AM

You usually can't unless you can find or pull another hot line. We have to do a few tests to know what you have and how its wired. Are there any other lines running through the existing receptacle box? Can you test between the black fed at the outlet and the green ground, do you get current?

Apr 26, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Can I just broke a little steel piece between the connections?

Apr 26, 2010, 07:39 AM

I will do the test when I get home. Now I'm at work.

Apr 26, 2010, 07:45 AM

Can I put a new double outlet and use existing wiring?
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Apr 26, 2010, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Can I put a new double outlet and use existing wiring?
    Depends which country you're in! If you're in Australia, then yes, it's a simple matter of removing the single GPO and replacing it with a double one, which fits in the same hole with the same fixings.

Of course this work should be done by a licensed electrician, with the circuit-breaker switched off!

If you're somewhere else, I don't know.

Daniel
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 01:56 AM

It depends on what you have coming into the outlet.

If power feeds the switch first and then the outlet then your out of luck.

If the switch is a simple switch loop, then it's easy.

Can you turn off power. Remove the outlet and plate but not the wires. Take a pic and post using "go advanced/manage attachments"?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 06:32 AM

Breaking that tab would only work if you have power going to the outlet prior to the switch like KISS says. If you have a switch loop this might be possible but you'd have to be lucky. Let us know after you do some testing. I think Daniel is skipping the part about the outlet not getting power when the switch is off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet controlled by light switch is reading 79 volts why [ 7 Answers ]

I have a set of outlets that the top outlet is controlled by a light switch. They do not work. I get a reading of 79v at all the outlets and at the switch. The bottom outlets all work and read 120v. The breaker controls all of them. Any suggestions

How to Wire a Split Receptacle Controlled by a Switch [ 2 Answers ]

How to Wire a Split Receptacle Controlled by a Switch

Electrical outlet controlled by a switch issues [ 11 Answers ]

Hello! I've a pair of outlets in the kitchen where the top one is always hot and the bottom one is controlled by a switch. The switch stopped working and the bottom is always dead. Suspecting the outlet (and not the switch) was bad I replaced the outlet with a new one and connected everything as...

Switch controlled outlet to constant power [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electrical outlet in living room which has top half controlled by switch and bottom half has constant power. The switch controls 4 other outlets in the room in the same fashion. I would like to make this outlet have constant power to the top and bottom. Is this an easy fix?

Outlet Controlled by a Switch [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the electrical outlets in a room I recently had dry-walled. One of the outlets I replaced was partially (1 of the 2 receptacles) controlled by a wall switch. I hooked the new outlet up exactly as the old one was, but now the outlet is on all of the time. The wall switch no longer...

View more questions Search