Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denny800 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Wiring a motion sensor switch to run a 12 volt power supply?
    I wired a 110 AC motion sensor switch to a AC outlet, but when I plug in a 12 Volt/500a power supply there isn't enough draw from the power supply for the switch to work. I did plug in an AC light and the switch works fine.
    Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 10:27 AM

So you have a light in parallel with the transformer. Wonder if a larger power supply would provide enough load to eleminate the light, the light gives off heat, competing with the fan to cool, Exhaust?
    How about adding another or larger fan(s).
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 10:34 AM

What is the load requirement? To my understandng what the motion switch does is complete the circuit for a set period? If that is the case then load doesn't matter so long as it is down stream of the switch.

Mar 14, 2010, 05:25 PM

That's what I thought, but if you don't have a load on the switch it stays off. When you connect anything down stream the sensor light comes alive and looks for motion or heat. The 12 volt AC adapter and the draw of 0.30a fan is not enough to make the switch turn off the circuit. If I connect a 110 light to the circuit the switch works fine.
    Thanks
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Mar 14, 2010, 09:29 PM
    Multiple questions
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    ...is not enough to make the switch turn off ...
    I'm confused...

Is the 12V adapter not turning off (on all the time) or not turning on (off all the time)?

If it's on all the time, the problem is possibly the snubber network in the IR sensor supplying enough current to support a small load (32mA @ 110V by my calculation). However I'd expect the fan to be running pretty slowly (it wouldn't receive anything like 12V).

PS: Don't keep posting multiple questions about a single problem - you already have a thread running for this problem.

Daniel
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 10:06 PM

Should I merge the threads? I think this one is a little different with a different motion sensor.

Mar 14, 2010, 11:43 PM

I'm kind of new to this and I tried to back space the last question out when I realized that I had put it in the wrong place. I thought I was answering. I went at this thing from a 12 volt angle and that became way too complicated for me so I thought I would come at it this way. You've all helped me a lot and I appreicahated it.
    Thanks for your help
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2010, 06:32 AM

Did you ever, or can you tell us what this is for? We could likely come up with some good ideas/circuits?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning on a 12 volt fan through a 110 volt motion sensor? [ 14 Answers ]

I want to turn on a 12 volt fan through a 110 wall light motion sensor.

Can you run a 208 volt heating panel on 240 volt electrical supply [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baseboard electric heater that is 208 volts. My power supply is 240 volts. What will happen if I try to run m y 240 volt electrical supply to my 208 volt electric baseboard heater?

Wiring illuminated DPST rocker switch to Power Supply [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! First time "asker"! I have recently built a device for medical use, so electrical safety for the patient is of upmost importance. I currently use a medical grade switching Power Supply +/- 15VDC (IPD, model SRP-25-2005). An AC inlet, IEC 320, brings Line and Neutral power to a medical...

Motion Sensor 2-Way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I am trying to design a light for a studio project at school and I have some questions on the wiring and most importantly the motion sensor. I am going to have two lighting groups, which will be a main flood light and then a group of LEDS. Mind you I really don't know what I'm doing so...

Motion sensor switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leviton motion activated light control I just purchased. In the wall switch there is a black red green and white... on the new switch there is a black green and red... I got the black and green but does the red on the new switch go to white?? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search