Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dimpleprincess898 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 08:30 AM
    how should i connect a 2.2k variable resistor in a circuit
    how should I connect a 2.2k variable resistor with 3 terminals in a circuit?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2009, 08:46 AM

Never seen a 2.2K Pot, may need a 5 K pot and resistor, do you need to go all the way from Zero ohms to
    2.2k. Your range will determine if the resistor needs to be parallel, or series with your pot.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 08:49 AM

Dimple,

Is this related to the exit sign you are trying to install?

If so we need to keep the posts together since it it the same problem.
    cshaffer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 08:50 AM

Instructions: Things You'll Need:
    Digital MultiMeter (DMM)
    Circuit using a variable resistor (with schematic)
    Soldering iron
    Solder

Step 1: Identify the location in which you wish to place your variable resistor by finding the variable resistor symbol in your schematic. In most schematics, the variable resistor symbol is a regular resistor with an arrow pointing to the center of its length.

Step 2: Verify the ends and wiper of your variable resistor using your DMM set on Resistance. The fixed ends of the resistor will usually be the two outer legs of the three legs of your device. Clip your DMM leads to the outer leads--you should see the full value listed on the case of your variable resistor. This will not change as you turn the knob of your resistor.

Move one lead of your DMM and clip it to the center leg of the resistor. The resistance reading should change as you turn the knob. If this does not work, experiment on which combination of legs gives you the fixed full value and which show a change as the knob is turned.

Step 3: Using your soldering iron and solder, connect the two fixed legs to the end points defined in your schematic. It will not matter electrically which end goes to which point in the schematic. Mount the device for easy access by the user.

Step 4: Adjust the wiper position so it is in the middle of the device (the fifth turn position on a 10-turn resistor, or the middle of the sweep for a single turn resistor). This will give the best heat dissipation when you solder the center leg.

Step 5: Solder the center leg to the wiper connection shown in your schematic. In most schematics, this will be the arrow lead on the variable resistor.

Tips & Warnings:
    If you are replacing a failed variable resistor in a circuit and are unable to find an exact match, meet or exceed the wattage rating as your priority. Next, meet or minimally exceed the resistance value rather than using a lower value resistor.When soldering, remember the tip of the iron is hot. Do not touch the soldered points until after at least a two -minute cooling time. Always remove any flux from a soldered connection. Gummy flux residue attracts metal shavings and may lead to shorts in the future.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2009, 08:52 AM

Why 2.2K?

Dec 16, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Never seen a 2.2K Pot, may need a 5 K pot and resistor, do you need to go all the way from Zero ohms to
    2.2k. Your range will determine if the resistor needs to be parallel, or series with your pot.
    Please see the attachment and kindly help :(
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf automatic low power emergency light.pdf (115.6 KB, 186 views)
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 09:05 AM

Dimple, where do you live?

This calls for a 230 V 50 Hz primary transformer. With a secondary of 9 V. 500mA output. There is a stamp on the front of the page indicating that the article is from Kumar?

If you are in the USA I strongly suggest your getting a different schematic unless this is for a commercial venue.

Also, this post needs to go into the "Electronics" forum and not Electrical.

You are working at the component level not doing residential electrical wiring.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2009, 09:16 AM

Here's where you can find your Pot:
    Digi-Key - P16NP-2.2K-ND (Manufacturer - P16NP222MAB15)

Dec 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cshaffer View Post
    Instructions: Things You'll Need:
    Digital MultiMeter (DMM)
    Circuit using a variable resistor (with schematic)
    Soldering iron
    Solder

Step 1: Identify the location in which you wish to place your variable resistor by finding the variable resistor symbol in your schematic. In most schematics, the variable resistor symbol is a regular resistor with an arrow pointing to the center of its length.

Step 2: Verify the ends and wiper of your variable resistor using your DMM set on Resistance. The fixed ends of the resistor will usually be the two outer legs of the three legs of your device. Clip your DMM leads to the outer leads--you should see the full value listed on the case of your variable resistor. This will not change as you turn the knob of your resistor.

Move one lead of your DMM and clip it to the center leg of the resistor. The resistance reading should change as you turn the knob. If this does not work, experiment on which combination of legs gives you the fixed full value and which show a change as the knob is turned.

Step 3: Using your soldering iron and solder, connect the two fixed legs to the end points defined in your schematic. It will not matter electrically which end goes to which point in the schematic. Mount the device for easy access by the user.

Step 4: Adjust the wiper position so it is in the middle of the device (the fifth turn position on a 10-turn resistor, or the middle of the sweep for a single turn resistor). This will give the best heat dissipation when you solder the center leg.

Step 5: Solder the center leg to the wiper connection shown in your schematic. In most schematics, this will be the arrow lead on the variable resistor.

Tips & Warnings:
    If you are replacing a failed variable resistor in a circuit and are unable to find an exact match, meet or exceed the wattage rating as your priority. Next, meet or minimally exceed the resistance value rather than using a lower value resistor.When soldering, remember the tip of the iron is hot. Do not touch the soldered points until after at least a two -minute cooling time. Always remove any flux from a soldered connection. Gummy flux residue attracts metal shavings and may lead to shorts in the future.
    Thanks a lot :) I got my answer in steps 1 and 5.thats what I'm looking for :)
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2009, 02:13 PM

You saw the Pot here?:
    Digi-Key - P16NP-2.2K-ND (Manufacturer - P16NP222MAB15)
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Dec 16, 2009, 11:21 PM
    There are a number of answers here going off at a tangent, ignoring the original question (which is how to connect the three-terminal pot in a circuit requiring a 'rheostat' connection).

I'm assuming you want clockwise rotation of the pot to increase charge-rate.

Look at the pot with the shaft/knob/screwdriver slot facing you. Going around the periphery of the pot body, label (in your head, not literally) the three pot terminals 1, 2 and 3. '2' is the wiper, '1' and '3' are the ends of the resistive track. Join '1' and '2' together and connect them to the 'top' end of your circuit (the regulator's 'ADJ' terminal). Connect '3' to the 'ground' of the circuit.

Once you've set the optimum charging current for the battery type, you shouldn't need to change it again (unless you change battery size/type). So I'd suggest using a trimpot rather than a panel pot. And of course 2k2 is a standard value for trimpots (as well as fixed resistors - the E12 range of standard values), though perhaps not readily available in 'backward' countries. :-)

Daniel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can circuit work well if we connect 12A load to 20A circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I have several equipment which are around 12A. I just can connect them to 20A circuit. But I am not sure if circuit will trip well under overload and short circuit. I know 15A is perfect.But,I don't have 15A circuit Thanks for everybody.

Carrier Circuit Board - Bad Resistor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Furnace which has a bad circuit board. I noticed that the resistors on the printed Circuit board look burned. The circuit board is a CES0110057-00 and the resistors reside on R57 and R58. I would like to replace the resistors but not sure how to identify the resistance level. ...

How to connect a power generator to the circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

How to connect the power generator to the circuit breaker

Variable Overhead efficiency variable [ 1 Answers ]

Variable overhead is applied in the basis of standard direct labor-hours. If the direct labor efficiency variance is unfavorable, the variable overhead efficiency variance will be? a Favorable b unfavorable c zero d indeterminable

Increase the range of a variable resistor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi people! I need to replace a 200k potentiometer with a touch-sensitive strip, itself being a type of variable resistor. Unfortunately I have no choice in the matter: the strip has a resistance between 3k and 20k. Is there some way I can ensure that 200k is the highest resistance available,...

View more questions Search