Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Changing ceiling light, there are 3 wires?
    Hi - I'm replacing the light fixture on our bedroom ceiling.

When I removed the old fixture I found a red wire from the house connected to the black leads on the old fixture, a white wire from the house connected to the white leads on the old fixture, and 2-3 black wires from the house all taped off together.

I connected the wires to the new fixture in the same manner: black from fixture to red house wire, and white from fixture to white house wiring. I attached the new fixture's bare ground wire to the support bar via the green screw.

I was expecting only black and white coming from the house. What does the red wire signify? I vaguely remember seeing a red wire when I updated a three-way switch elsewhere in the house. I also found out that the circuit breaker for our bedroom controls an outlet in the living room!

Thanks!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 07:10 PM
    In this case, red is the switched hot, black is the unswitched hot. The black leads up there are possibly going to outlets, or other circuits in other rooms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light bulb - Hampton Bay Romano Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the light bulb on a Hampton Bay Romano ceiling fan? Fan came with the house but no manual. I tried to turn the light pan but it will turn for a couple revolutions then... nothing? Thanks.

Changing Thermostat Analog to Digital have 110 volt wires [ 2 Answers ]

I have a baseboard hot water system with a gas boiler. Boiler is 6-7 years old. It has three zones with 3 separate pumps and thermostats. I checked the thermostat wires and they are 110 volts. Folks at the local hardware store I talked to were surprised with the 110 volts but suggested I could...

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

Ceiling fan wires [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I installed a fan a few yrs ago. It wabbled so we tried to fix that and ended up messing up the light. Today we decided to fix the light. After taking the light kit off it was noticed that only white was coming from the fan to the light kit and black/blue was gone (somewhere in the...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

View more questions Search