Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdobs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Part time ny resident
    I was a resident of ny state until June of 2006, after which moved to fl and established residency there. Do I have to pay taxes to ny state on my income that was earned in fl? Every tax website that I go to automatically does it that way which means I owe $185 to ny. If I do my taxes without the fl income they owe me close to $300. Big difference. Oh, and by the way, in Dec I moved again to CA but did not work at all in 06. Do I still have to file a ca return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 11:09 AM
    No, your Florida income will NOT be taxed by NY.

If you file as a part-year resident, the NY tax Form IT-203, alows you to differentiate between the NY-based and the FL-based income. Try the TaxAct NY tax software.

No California return is needed if there is no California income.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident / Part-time resident -L1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have L1B Visa valid from 31st March 2006. I arrived in the USA in May end and have been here since then. Marital Status : Single I have a couple of questions: 1) My Status Resident / part time resident ? 2) What is the effect of this status on Tax computation? 3) Do I need to...

Part time resident or dual resident [ 1 Answers ]

In May of 2006, my then fiancée (now wife) and I moved from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. She changed her residency to Pennsylvania, however because of my work in NJ, I continued to maintain my apartment and residency status in NJ. We got married in July and now we are planning to file our federal...

Part time or Non-resident? Which state? [ 5 Answers ]

I filed an extension for 2005 taxes and they are due on the 15th (Yes I realize I really waited too long) I have a simple question, and am using taxcut and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so far. In 2005 I lived and worked in MA, Made wages, received a W-2 from these wages. In July, I quit...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search