Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    exodiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Stripping paint from plaster walls...
    I've been able to chip away most of the paint on my 1930's houses' plaster walls down to the plaster. There were two layers of paint and they came off very easily from the wall... almost like an eggshell off an egg. There was a border along the top of the wall, and the paint layers under the border are still adhered to the wall, and I'm having a much more difficult time removing this area of paint.

Are there any products which will - when applied - strip the paint off a plater wall without damaging the plaster? Everything I see is for woodwork. Has anyone tried any of these products on a plaster wall for faster and easier paint removal?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 11:01 AM
    If somebody else posts that they have done it, listen to them. Most of the common paint strippers are organic based, toxic, flammable, but shouldn't hurt plaster. Plaster is lime and gypsum, and other minerals. Avoid anything acid which might include the citric strippers. The caustic based ones should be OK, but as usual, test in an inconspicuous area.

That old, the paint may be the old white lead and linseed oil. It may yield to the caustic more quick than the organic. I hope you have been careful, not breathing dust, cleaning it up good, and washing you hands. The hazards of lead in newer paint is greatly over hyped. Current law replaced a 0.5% standard with a 0.06% standard. There is no scientific evidence that up to 2% lead is harmful. Today's standard is mostly about keeping politicians in office and lawyers in Rolexes and BMWS, not protecting children. Removal contractors are in the gravy train too.

Disclosure, I was working as a chemist in the paint industry when the law was passed.
    rengo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 11:04 AM

I'm typing several years after this question was asked, but for anyone else who encounters this issue:

The OP describes to a T a room in my 1940's house. Most of the paint came off the plaster like peeling an eggshell, but left a tightly adhered "border" around the ceiling line.

Well, after hacking a small area of that border away, I saw why it was there and decided to leave it. There was an ugly, very visible gap between the wall and the ceiling. Whatever that "border" is made of, it's there to fill in that gap and leave a clean line at the ceiling. I decided just to sand it and feather it into the wall surface, prime and repaint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-finishing plaster [ 6 Answers ]

Hello again- If you could not tell from my previous posts, my pool is being re modeled. I appreciate the support here and had 2 more questions. Re plastering is the final step or the first? That is before the tile/coping go on. Is Sider-Proof FF-PR considered a "real" plaster or just DIY...

New wiring in plaster walls [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, I need any help I can get on this one. I am rewiring my living room of an old victorian house built around 1900. The exterior wall is brick and the interior wall is plaster. The plaster was placed directly on top of the brick (no lath or wood inbetween). Does anyone have any experience with...

Lead paint [ 2 Answers ]

Does any one know what year they stopped using lead paints? I have some old matchbox cars I would like to give to my kids but don't want to give the ones that might contain lead paint.

20 layers of paint! [ 6 Answers ]

Purchased a 100 yr. old home... need to save $ with DIY projects... does anyone have a recommendation of the absolute best product to remove some 20 layers of paint on bannisters/doors/frames? Thanks a bunch.:

Tar vs. Paint Chipping... [ 2 Answers ]

There has been some tar on my front bumper, on the part even with the hood of the car (engine, etc... ) I went today November 7, 2005 to go wash the whole car anyway cause it was dirty, While I was using the high pressure rinse on the tar area, I noticed the was some paint chipping occurring. What...

View more questions Search