And answer in W.
    What is w
    And what is the power output
    Is it the same as work and W is just a fancy way of saying joules or what
    Please help
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 8, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Please state the full wording of the question in your paper.
    What you posted here is rather unclear, and unsuitable as basis for homework help.

:)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 12:11 AM

a W (Watt) is 1 J/s (Joule per Second). It's a unit of power.

You can easily calculate the power from the energy that is needed to raise the weight (PE = mgh) and the time taken (power = energy/time)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 12:34 PM

Power can be calculated as work (or energy) per unit time as Capuchin says, but it is often easier to use force times velocity. You are given the person's weight (in Newtons) - this is the force he must overcome to climb the rope. His velocity in m/s can be calculated from the time it takes to climb the rope. Multiply the two together, and you get a result that has units Nt-m/s; this is equivalent to Joules/sec, or watts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Use inverter to increase power output of a generator [ 7 Answers ]

Hello does anyone know if it is practical or even possible to amplify the power of a small generator using a large watt inverter? Say you have a 2 or 3 HP 1000 watt generator and you hook it up to a 5000 watt inverter. What kind of power will you be NOW able to generate? Doesn't the horse power of...

No power output from Kipor 3000 TI [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with an answer as to why my kipor 3000 generator all of a sudden just quit producing power, It's only a yr old and not used very much at all. I noticed the light indicating a power overload, but at the time the only things working off it, was a couple lights and radio of our RV....

Power output of an inverter [ 1 Answers ]

How do I increase the power output of a DC to AC inverter say, up to 2000W-3000W Please, help me I am desperate.

Generator power output cuts in and out [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a Coleman Generator a few months ago and I have it connected to an inverter. The inverter is connected also to 16 "deep cycle" batteries and usually powers the house from solar panels. Everything has been working terrific until last night when the generator began cutting in and out. It...

View more questions Search