Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natbrooks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Facial Hair
    I'm a 32 year old female and I've been diagnosed with PCOS. I have essessive facial hair that grows every day. I'm been using clippers to remove the hair, but it leaves bumps and marks. My doctor prescribed the cream Vaniqa, but it's $75 for a small tube. How do you suggest I remove the hair from my face with out the bumps and marks?
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Nov 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Had you ever tried having it waxed I would have a test strip done 1st as sometimes people can have a rash with difrent kinds of wax.
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Nov 30, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Maybe try nair
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 30, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Do not use clippers to remove facial hair because it can cause irritation or scars. If you have excessive facial hair, you should consider using a waxing method. Waxing can leave a smooth and long lasting result than all temporary hair removal methods. I recommend that you get it done by a professional.
    pcosinct Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 07:54 PM
    I tweeze. For me it works. Shaving is OK but if you have issues with bumps, try BumpOff before and after shaving - I LOVE this stuff and it really works! I even use it for when I tweeze to reduce redmarks.

Besides waxing you can try electrolosis. But know that because your facial hair is hormonal based, electrolosis will have to be consistent, unlike others who do not have hormonal issues. It should last longer then waxing but will not be "permanent".

Also, what are you doing for your PCOS itself? Are you treating it? When you treat the PCOS symptoms can improve.

Angi Ingalls
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Jan 3, 2008, 08:37 AM
    I thread. You get cotton thread which is twisted and pulled along the skin surface of unwanted hair, lifting hair directly from the follicle.
    It is so much cheaper than waxing!

Jan 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkChic
    I thread. You get cotton thread which is twisted and pulled along the skin surface of unwanted hair, lifting hair directly from the follicle.
    It is so much cheaper than waxing!
    Explain this in more detail please. I don't quite understand. Does it work on course hairs?

Jan 3, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosinct
    Explain this in more detail please. I dont quite understand. Does it work on course hairs?
    Threading hair removal is a lesser known method that is kinder to the skin than many other procedures.

It is a very economical and effective way of keeping the facial areas and eyebrows clean and free of unwanted body hair.

Take a moment to browse this fact sheet and educate yourself about this additional hair removal option:

What is threading hair removal?

Threading is an ancient method of hair removal still used in many countries in the Middle East as well as India and Pakistan. It is used to give clean lines and good shape to the eyebrows and also remove hair from the upper lip and other facial areas.

How does threading hair removal work?

100% cotton thread is twisted and rolled along the surface of the skin entwining the hair in the thread which is then lifted out from the follicle.

How long before hair returns after threading?

About the same as with tweezing, anywhere between 3 and 8 weeks.

How does threading hair removal affect the skin?

The effects of threading are less than with other hair removal methods such as tweezing, waxing or sugaring. The skin may get a little red and sore but only a slight pinch is felt as a relatively large area is covered each time.

Unlike waxing or the use of depilatories, irritation and skin rashes are avoided with threading as the top layer of dead skin is not stripped off in the process.

Threading Hair Removal - Fact Sheet

Yes it works on course hair also.

Hope that helps.
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 04:40 PM
    That's interesting, Where do I get that threading removal thing and can I use it myself. Sounds brilliant though.

Jan 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
    I think I would need to see a demo. I get the use of thread but I don't understand exactly how.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 3, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Threading is definitely cheaper than waxing, however, it's little unsanitary. To do threading, most technicians use their mouth to hold the cotton thread. Threading can also cause bacterial infection, acne and skin discolorations. Please avoid threading if you have a skin condition, skin sensitivity or acne prone skin.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 05:06 PM
    I go to a salon and have a facial waxing. Costs me less than $20.00 and lasts about six weeks. It is well worth the cost, to me at least. Safe and sanitary too.

Jan 4, 2008, 07:36 AM
    pcosinct. Type in threading on YouTube and there will be lots of videos showing how to thread.

Missmarple you can do it yourself or get a professional to do it. I do my upper lip by myself but get someone else to thread my eyebrows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Facial hair [ 4 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I have a question about facial hair. I wanted to know if there is anyway to get sideburns faster. I can grow them a little bit but I wasn't sure if shaving helps at all to help the hair grow in faster and I wanted to know if there is any technique besides shaving that anyone...

Facial Hair [ 2 Answers ]

What's the fastest way to grow facial hair?

Facial hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am 29. I still have no beard or mustaches. I am lean. I look like a teenager. Due to this, I am not getting enough respect or even promotions as I look like a kid. Please help me. I met a doctor. He said ever thing is right. But, I am unable to move freely in the society. Please give...

Facial hair [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 22 years old and I've started to notice a few dark hairs on my chin and upper lip. I started plucking them as I found them, but now there seems to be more. I'm afraid that if I keep plucking them or if I was them, then more will grow and before I know it there will be more than I can handle....

View more questions Search