Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saindon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Proper Grounding
    I am installing a new electric Service to my home. I am upgrading to a 200 amp service and relocating the meter box. I plan on using #3/0 wiring from the meter box to the Load Center, then using #2/0 from the ground rod to the meter box and the Load Center. I have 2 questions. First, Do I need to ground both the meter box and the Load Center separately or can they be grounded together using the same ground wire? Second question Will one 8 foot 5/8 copper ground rod be enough to ground the entire electrical system?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 05:52 AM
    First off, WHY 2/0 to the ground rod? For a connection to just a ground rod (or even two) all that is required is #6cu.

You must run the ground rod wire to the main disconnect/panel. DO NOT run it to the meter unless specifically called for by your power company.

Same goes for the water bond, which for a typical 200A service would require a #4cu wire.

Are you familiar with all the codes involved with installing grounding electrode conductors and water bond/electrode connections??
    saindon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by saindon
    I am installing a new electric Service to my home. I am upgrading to a 200 amp service and relocating the meter box. I plan on using #3/0 wiring from the meter box to the Load Center, then using #2/0 from the ground rod to the meter box and the Load Center. I have 2 questions. First, Do I need to ground both the meter box and the Load Center separately or can they be grounded together using the same ground wire? Second question Will one 8 foot 5/8 copper ground rod be enough to ground the entire electrical system?
    No, I am not familiar with local code, but know what is acceptable by the power company. Com Ed informed me that #3/0 for the meter and I could go down one size for my ground. I assumed that 2/0 would be one size.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 06:23 AM
    They meant down one size for the neutral. Are you running CU or AL wire from the meter to the panel?

This is where having a good idea of what you are doing BEFORE hand is a good and economical thing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 12:27 PM
    There are a lot of unanswered questions like distances and where the disconnect is planned to be placed. Is an external disconnect required in your area?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Please tell us that you have no intention of moving the meter yourself!

Moving the meter and the main panel box would have you handling deadly levels of amperage with absolutely no margin for errors.

Meters are owned by the Power Company and the Power Company has to approve the moving and reattachment.

Please call a licensed electrician!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding rods [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway that sombody tell what is the length for ground rods for trailers ,someone told it should be like 8 feet long ,but I find it difficuilt to get that length of the ground rod under the ground ,is there any other way,another person told me that I can connect three shorter grounding...

Grounding an outlet [ 7 Answers ]

I recently hooked up a new gas range for my mom, Being the cook-top & oven are both gas the only power it needs is for the igniter’s, light, timer, etc. The receptacle behind her range is only a two prong outlet, I added one of those ground plug adapters & I still got no power to the range & I...

Proper grounding for 400A service and adjoining panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 400A service panel on the outside wall of a garage. For the time being it will only be supplying power to a 125A panel located on the inside wall of that garage. The 125A panel will be mounted inside the wall directly behind the 400A service, and the two will be connected by...

Hot tub grounding bar [ 9 Answers ]

I got a free hot tub... yeah right free-the 6/3 wire itself is going to run $300! Anyway, the instruction manual calls for a 50 amp breaker and the 6/3 UF wire with ground. It also calls for a #6 copper wire that is attached to a grounding bar that is to be buried. I have heard two solutions,...

Grounding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

I am using an existing wire that was used for a dryer. I have changed the breakers to 2-20 amp single pole breakers and am splitting the line to make two 110volt GFI outlets for a whirlpool tub (1 for pump and 1 for heater). I have a red, white, and black wires, however, there is no bare copper...

View more questions Search