Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ernman100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Seeking history of our home, or surrounding area
    I would like to know history about an area in Florida, called harbor oaks. This area is located in Port Orange fl. We recently purcahsed a home here, we hear noises at night in our home. From my understanding this area has a lot of history. If some one can lead me in the right direction, to finding the history of our home, or it's surrounding area. This would be greatly appreciated
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Harbor Oaks was Clearwater's first planned residential development. Dean Alvord, a major developer in New York state, opened Harbor Oaks in 1914. Bringing modern planning concepts to the Pinellas County area, the development offered innovative features such as underground utilities, paved streets, curbs and sidewalks, a sewer system, and tree lined parkways. Deed restrictions ensured a rich architectural mix of mostly two story homes including fine examples of Mediterranean Revival, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Mission and Bungalow styles. Local newspapers called Harbor Oaks "the Riviera of the Sunny South" and "the finest shore development on the West coast of Florida". The development was essentially completed by 1930. Harbor Oaks has been the home of such prominent persons as author Rex Beach, Brooklyn Dodgers owner Charles Ebbett, inventor Donald Roebling, industrialist Robert Ingersoll, and members of the Studebaker and Proctor and Gamble families. The Harbor Oaks Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

Preservation - Office of Cultural & Historical Programs
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Have you ever read through your deed and saw who all owned your house before you? The deed can go back to the original property owner. One house I owned was on land that was the first blacksmith/livery stable in North Dakota. Before that it was part of an outpost to a (no longer existing) fort.

Have you done any research in your local library? What do your neighbors know? Your state historical society or perhaps there is a historical society in your county. By the way, what noises do you hear?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 12:37 AM
    If you visit some local churches in the area, they might also have some records that might be helpful to you concerning the land as well as the people.
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2008, 05:27 PM
    You might want to go to the library and ask the librarian is there someone local that has been living there forever and loves to tell old stories. I did that when I bought a house in Arcadia FL. I got some great stories and got to see some old photos too. If the librarian doesn't know look for where old guys hang out. In Arcadia it was on some park benchs under a huge live oak tree downtown.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Many localities also have historical societies where you can go to to view pictures as well as articles about certain homes and locations in the community.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Seeking case history [ 8 Answers ]

I've been searching high and low for a readable case history of Lipsig v. Ramlawi, 760 So. 2d 170, 183 (Fla. 3d DCA 2000). Can anyone help with a link or a summary. Thanks

Myths surrounding breast cancer [ 9 Answers ]

J_9, I loved reading your introduction, even though I am a little late on posting. But I have a question I would like you to answer since you are in the medical field an have been through breast cancer personally, maybe you can give me a definite answer. I'm sure every teenage girl and women has...

History of my home [ 1 Answers ]

My raised ranch was built in 1966. As far as I know only one family lived here. Reason for the sell was the housewas to big for the widowed wife who's husband passed some years back. I have now lived here for almost 2 years. It's nothing scary but I am curious. Sometimes I feel as though someone...

View more questions Search