Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fashion209 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Chemistry-predicting chemical equations
    For example, magnesium plus oxygen yields... (These are the reactants and the products have to be guessed). The reaction type is synthesis and the answer is Mg+O2 yields MgO.

Another example is chlorine plus lithium iodide yields... (reactants) and the answer is Cl2+LiI yields LiCl +I2(products).

Question- Aluminum plus lead(II) nitrate yields...
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Hello fashion

Note that this is your homework. So you should start posting the proper formula and valency for all chemicals involved here.

1 - Mg+O2 yields MgO :
    valency magnesium =
    valency oxygen =

2 - Cl2+LiI yields LiCl
    valency chlorine =
    valency lithium =
    valency iodide =

3 - Formula for Aluminum plus lead(II) nitrate =
    valence aluminum =
    formula for lead(II) nitrate =
    valency lead =
    valency nitrogen =
    valency oxygen =

Note that to get water (H2O) you need to know the individual components of this molecule, and the valency of it's components.
    Why H2O and not HO or H2O2 ?
    Do you need H2 and O to get water, or 2H and O, and what is the difference ?

Note that valency is a measure of the combining power of a particular element, equal to the number of single chemical bonds one atom can form. That number relates to the number of electrons an atom gives up or accepts when forming a compound.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Predicting Chemical Equations [ 12 Answers ]

Hey all, I am in the midde of writing up a rather difficult formal lab report on eight experiments that all have to do with predicting equations. After predicting the products from the reactants, I have to determine what type of reaction occurred. Can anyone help me predict the products of the...

Predicting Chemical Equations [ 4 Answers ]

So I am having trouble with my chemistry. What I don't understand is what to do when you are predicting the products of a chemical equation, and knowing what its physical state is for example Hg (NO3)2 + Na2S --> I looked at my activity series and Sodium is more reactive than Mercury so...

Predicting Chemical Equations [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am in desperate need of help on some of these equations! For each of the following questions, classify the reaction type and predict the balanced chemical equation. Provide a word equation as well. #4. A strip of zinc metal is placed into a copper(II) nitrate solution. #5....

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search