Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    try2fix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 10:49 PM
    Condenser Fan Motor Wiring for Goodman AC Heat Pump 3 Ton
    Condenser Fan Motor Wiring for Goodman 3 Ton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone,

I have a GOODMAN A/C Heat Pump Model# CPLE 36-1 installed 3 years ago. Last week I turned the unit on, the compressor hums (not run)about 3-5 minutes and stop quiet. Also the condenser fan did not run. I called the A/C installer back to check and he said the condenser motor is bad and he said the fan motor only warranty for 1 year although I called Goodman Customer service who said my unit is warranty 5 years for Compressor and all function parts.

I can not wait for repairman to come back;therefore, I buy a new A.O Smith Condenser Fan Motor to match the old motor 1/4 HP, 1075 RPM 208-230 V, Single Phase, 48 Y Enclosed, CAP 5 MFD , 370 VAC.

I am confused because the Old motor has 3 wires: Black, Brown and Purple:

* Black wires------->Contactor T 1.
    * Brown ---------> Capacitor terminal marked F. This is Dual Function capacitor Model # 27L568, 45 MFD / 5 MFD 370 VAC Protect P968 B9457 - 7200 /GREEN
    * Purple ------------> DF2 terminal in Defrost Control Board.
    The Defrost Control Board # 0334 1084-200 C GOODMAN P/N B 12260-08.

Here the rest of Wires I observe from the outside unit:
    * Med. Yellow wire from Compressor connects-------> Capacitor marked H.(Compressor).
    *A short Med. Red wire connects Capacitor marked C (Common) to contactor T2 and another long Med. Red from the same Capacitor terminal marked C connects -------> DF1 terminal in Defrost Control Board.
    * Big Black wire from compressor connects --------> Contactor T1.
    * Big Red wire from compressor connects --------> Contactor T2.
    It also confuse me that why Black wire (Power) connects -----> to L2 and White wire to L1.

The new matching A.O Smith motor, (Model# F48K92A01) has 4 wires: Brown, Brown with white stripe ( Both have female terminals ), Black and Yellow (W/O terminals).
    The diagram on the new motor shows 2 Brown wires to Capacitor, Black and Yellow to 2 lines. Like you said when buying a new motor we should buy a new capacitor, but the box outside has no room to fit another capacitor 5 MFD with the old one. The old capacitor has Dual Function 45 / 5 MFD. I test the old capacitor with Digital ohmmeter between those terminals C + H and C + F ------> Results of 2 measures, the numbers reading climb high then scaling back to Infinity. Is that still good?

I hope I provide enough information for all the experts to help me to walk through this maze.
    Thank you very much for your time to help.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 11:10 PM
    First, mount the new capacitor in the unit, install the 2 brown wires from the new motor to it, just leave the old dual cap. In as well. You may need to buy a spade connector to install the yellow wire to the defrost board, put the black wire in the same place on the contactor as the old fan motor, this should get you going. Make sense?
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
    If you can't find room to mount the extra capacitor, hook the solid brown wire on the dual cap. and wire nut the brown wire with the white stripe, this will work as well.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
    I'm a bit confused, you have posted this same question three times, just yesterday t_top gave you a perfectly good answer.
    try2fix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Yes, I could not find T-Top answering; therfore, I Repost it in the right topic: Heating & Air conditioning. Later I found my 1st posting in the Introduction and got T-TOP response.

Again, thank you all very much.
    scooter2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 04:19 AM
    Bought new motor with 4 wire 2 browns a purple and a black with green ground.great I know to 2 brown goes to the new capaciton to run fan alone,but the others?
    I also have a dual with 3 capcitor with c.fan/h Ihad 2 red wires cove off one pannel says df1 and 1 red coming of L1 Power My queston how do I hook It Up now using a new motor were all the wires go yellow for compressor/purple aand black and the 2 red wire
    And last have 3 bad what size blade I use.ac unit is a goodman CPL J42-1B

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New condenser fan motor wiring [ 2 Answers ]

We just installed a new condenser fan motor (A.O. Smith OYK1028) and are feeling a bit lost with finishing up with the wiring. Both the old and the new motors (this is an OEM replacement) have three wires: purple, brown, and black. We did not remove the old motor, so we did not see how the wires...

Heat pump condenser frosts up [ 5 Answers ]

I leave in the Kanas City, MO area and have a heat pump for primary heat with natural gas forced air for backup. When the temperature gets down to the high 20's, the outside unit (condenser?) frosts up and the fins are clogged with frost. It seems to me when the fins are clogged with frost it...

Replacing A/C - condenser or heat pump/condenser [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old and will not survive a scheduled reroofing of the building. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new condenser unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed....

Wiring of a Rheem Condenser fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

The motor looks to have 2 orange wires, 1 black wire, and 1 brown wire. Where do they go back to. Do the 2 orange wires go to the capacitor? Black go to contact + and brown to common? The 2 orange wires have continuity between them with no or little resistance. Are these both ground wires or...

View more questions Search