Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    watson1499 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 09:00 PM
    AC unit outside kicks on for 2 sec. then breaker trips
    When the thermostat kicks the AC on the unit outside comes on for 2 seconds then trips the breaker. The blower inside the house stays on but because the compressor outside isn’t running it just circulates the warm air. The AC unit is on a 30 amp breaker switch so I believe that is large enough to handle the unit. If I turn the breaker on and off a few times the compressor will stay on and work properly, but the next time the thermostat turns it off it does the same thing when it turns back on.

Can somebody help me please?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 09:55 PM
    I'd say your compressor is "starting hard" or the breaker is getting weak, this problem can be solved by replacing the breaker or installing a "hard start kit". You may need to call in a pro. To figure what exactly is happening.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Jun 3, 2007, 07:19 AM
    As hvacservicetech mentioned it may need a hard start kit. If you have any other 30 amp circuit breakers in your breaker panel (maybe for your dryer or hot water heater) you might try exchanging it with the condensing unit breaker to see if that will solve your problem. If that works just go purchase the new breaker.
    PopBear Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 10:46 PM
    If your breaker is tripping it is either a bad breaker or shorted run windings
    A simple check is to first REMOVE POWER to condenser, if breaker is tripped you shouldn't have power. Remove compressor leads usually Red (run) Black (common) and either Blue or Yellow (start) secure and separate.
    If breaker does not trip check compressor or capacitor for shorts.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
    Popbear, shorted windings in a compressor don't usually unshort themselves, The OP stated above that after trying it a few times the unit would run.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Could be a compressor going bad, or as simple as a plugged up condenser coil. I think it is time to have the unit checked and serviced by a competent service man.
    ksdelaware Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
    I got a a/c unit that has two breakers one inside and one out and when I turn the power on it will kick the inside breaker off but not the outside breaker. I added a hard start kit but it still trips the inside breaker after like a second or two the fan just starts to spin. What could it be it a fairly new a/c condenser like two years old. The thermostat wire were bare In on spot so I cut and capped them but I am not sure if that would cause the breaker to trip?? Please help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

GFI Breaker Trips [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings all! I have a 15 amp GFI breaker that trips anytime something is plugged into any of the outlets on that circuit. I have used a circuit tester and it appears everything is normal but still when I plug anything at all into any of the outlets the breaker trips. What would cause...

Oven trips breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I am having tile put down and the tile guy moved the stove to tile under it. I used the stove yesterday morning. He tiled under the stove and put it back - unplugged. I went to plug it in this morning and it keeps tripping the circuit breaker. I unplugged the stove and flipped the breaker and...

Breaker Trips [ 3 Answers ]

My furance Circuit breaker The main from the house input has stated to trip. It has happened twice this past weekend? Any ideas?

View more questions Search