Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheRetiredMouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Draining a dehumidifier
    I am trying to drain a dehumidifier in my basement. It is stubbed (sort of) for a bathroom. There is the main drain (3 1/2" Pipe) that toilet waste as well as sink waste drains into embedded in the concrete floor, and I assume drains into the septic tank. There is another pipe (PVC, 1 1/2" ) that runs around the wall of the "bathroom" and also is embedded in the concrete about 4 inches from the main drain. The only thing from upstairs that drains into this pipe is the washing machine and the kitchen sink. I would assume that this pipe drains into the septic system also. If I drain the dehumidifier into this pipe, will I need a P-trap or can I simply use a T-connector and insert the drain tube from the dehumidifier into the T?

If I've left something out, please let me know.

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Don't use a Tee because without a trap you'll get sewer gas. You could rig a p trap but do you have a sump pump? You could drain to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Icingup dehumidifier [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older coil type dehumidifier that ices up relly fast. What should I do ?

Bathtub not draining [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built around 1953. We have lived in it for only 8 months. The whole time we have lived there the lever to move the drain stopper in the bathtub has not budged. We only ever shower so I didn't worry about it. About a week ago, the tub started draining slower and slower. It now will...

My dishwasher is not draining [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new disposal. Now, when I run the dishwasher it doesn't drain. But if I disconnect the hose from the washer to the disposal and let it run into a bucket it does drain. I don't know what I did when switching the old disposal to the new one but apparently I missed something.

Is there a dehumidifier/window unit?. [ 3 Answers ]

I am so tired of having to empty my dehumidifier every day and I don't have a basement drain. Does anyone know if a window unit exists?

View more questions Search