Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spoazzy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 12:26 PM
    AC condenser not kicking on.
    I live in SW Florida and yeasterday there was a power outage that left us without power for some time. FPL said that there was a main line that was tken down by a tree. We did not immediately turn the AC on after the power came back on (the thermostat was off when power returned). We turned it on last night and this morning found that it was blowing, but not cool. We went outside to the unit and we reset the high pressure switch. We could hear the compressor trying to kick on but promptly kick back off. My husband, an electrician, opened up the unit and hit the reset button again. This time the condenser kicked fully on and ran, but the connection from the starting capacitor and the starting relay began to smoke badly and the capacitor became hot to the touch immediately. With him being an electrician, replacing these parts would not be an issue, I am however having quite the time trying to find these parts. I am hoping someone could tell me what would work in place of these and hopefully if this would be our culprit.

What we had in there is a GE relay part#3ARR3J3P6 / 42-18282-09
    The capacitor is a Mallory 88-106MFD 330VAC
    Our outdoor unit is a Rheem 2 1/2 ton RAPA-030JAZ
    It was installed in 2002.

Please help me if you can.

Thank You,

Stephanie
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 01:57 PM
    If the relay is in outside compressor unit, then any 2 pole 30 Amp or Better Rating for contacts, and a 24 volt coil. Any Electrical Supply House house should have equilivent or better in stock.Can be greater than 30 Amps, Coil Voltage must be 24 volts.

The Capacitor does not have to be Mallory. Sounds like 2 capacitors built into 1, a 88 and 106 Mfd capacitor, Rating 330 volt or above, no lower than 240 Volt.
    It would have 3 terminals.
    Graybar or Grainger should be able to provide. Believe it or not, Ebay. Good luck.
    Keyword: 2 Pole 240 volt contactor 24 volt coil
    And capacitor and 88 106 mfd capacitor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser wiring [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing wiring for a new central air condenser that is being installed next week, and I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. The HVAC installer told me that I needed #8 and 40 amps. I have a flexible whip to go from the disconnect to the condenser and have run (2) #8 wires...

Condenser wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing wiring for a new central air condenser that is being installed next week, and I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. The HVAC installer told me that I needed #8 and 40 amps. I have a flexible whip to go from the disconnect to the condenser and have run (2) #8 wires...

Kicking a child out [ 6 Answers ]

My parents still have my 37 year old brother still living at home. They were told by him that since he is getting his mail there, even if he is not paying rent, he is a renter and that they cannot just kick him out. Is this true?

Blower kicking on/off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks, 1st time I've used the internet for asking questions. Have Bryant furnace. Blower is running,but, is stopping and starting, it sounds like "thumping" in the attic, continuously throughout the cycle. Even after the cycle stops it continues to "thump". This happens for both the furnace and...

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

View more questions Search