Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaladinZ06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Dead Whirlpool condenser fan
    I have Whirlpool side-by-side with through-the-door ice and water that has a dead condenser fan (well that's what I think it is - the fan at the back bottom of the unit behind the cardboard grill).

It is a white plastic Panasonic motor driving the fan - looks like a dodgy design in terms of heat dissipation for the fan motor.

The fan part number is UDQR003W7 - the 0s might be Os who knows?
    The fridge model number is G25DIXHW. I can't seem to find parts for it.

The fan specs on the label are 115V-60Hz 78mA Z. P. (no idea what Z. P. means) with a 6mm shaft - assuming it is in metric.

I found a bath fan motor that is rated for close to that, but the shaft size is smaller and would present some problems.

What should I do? I can replace the fan easily if I can find the replacement part - minimal difficulty and swearing involved in taking it out.

This fridge isn't that old, but the icemaker's gone out of it twice now. If I can get replacement parts that don't suck as bad as the originals it would be nice. The old fridge that came with the house makes ice twice as fast, and still makes ice. The fan I can understand - we let the pet hair collect too much underneath. The ice maker? If I can get at least 2 years out of the replacement part it would be nice. Summer is coming and I'd like to have ice. I am blowing air over the coils with one of those window 2 rotor fans on low setting in the meantime. I checked the wires to the fan for voltage and they are energized for certain.

Point me to parts? Tell me better parts, way to improve this thing?

Edit: I may be OK - it turns out the model number starts with G and not 6 as I originally stated. Going back to the appliance parts stores on the internet to look again
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 09:22 PM
    You may want to check your local appliance repair shops for the part, this will avoid the shipping costs and I'm sure they will have a universal part in stock, They aren't really that expensive.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 21, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Don't run your refrigerator to long without the condenser fan running or you will also be replacing the compressor. Without the fan running, your refrigerant head pressure is to high and it will over heat and damage the compressor. You should also be able to order the motor on line.
    PaladinZ06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I'd been running a window fan over the coils. The overheating is what tipped us off that the fridge was broken.

I got the fan today and mounted in the bracket. I have to do some minor wire mods to attach it to this replacement (superior not plastic will probably outlast the fridge) fan.

Fingers crossed. I bought it from a local appliance shop. It was a bit more, but it was immediate, and I discovered a friendly local store that I may give a shot at our business in the future. Might be worth an extra hundred for local friendly service vs. big box store with no-one that can help you much less service your appliances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC condenser fan not running nor is cool air [ 9 Answers ]

My condenser fan stopped running and there is no cool air coming from the vents. I'm wondering now though, will the cool air stop flowing just because the fan is not running, or does this mean that the compressor has gone bad? The compressor still turns on fine (it seems a bit nosier now though)...

Condenser Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I Purchased A New Condenser Fan. The Old Fan Had Three Wires One To The Contactor(black) Then Yellow Wire To The Capacitor And Brown Wire To Capacitor. The New Motor Has Four Wires Brown , Brown With White Strip, Black And Purple. The Fan Diagram Shows You Can Connect With Only Three Wires. It...

Whirlpool Gold Dead Won't Start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I have a Whirlpool Gold electric dryer, model # GEQ 9858JQO that won't start. Last week the dryer sparked and a little smoke came out of the panel where the controls are and it was dead. I have replaced the dryer plug and when I opened the back there is no evidence of a short. No black...

Air Cond condenser Fan Motor Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know? I have two black wires on my outside condenser fan that are no different that hooks in to a black wire and a white wire coming out of my new fan motor. Can they be swiched? If not I don't know how to tell which wire to hook the black and white up to. Also it has a brown and a...

Wiring Outside A/C condenser Fan Motor [ 1 Answers ]

Need help wiring a new outside a/c condenser fan motor. Old fan motor has 3 wires: black, blue, light orange. Black to one side of contact, light orange to other side. Blue to capacitor. Contact has 5 connectors.. one side: black from motor, black to inside the condenser. Other side: dark orange...

View more questions Search