Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schrader Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 07:38 AM
    AC Compressor turns on, no furnace blower with new thermostat
    I have a simple 4 wire, 1 stage cooling, 1 stage gas heat system. Over the winter I replaced my Honeywell CT3200 programmable thermostat with a Totaline Wireless Thermostat System. The receiver is model P474-1100REC. The sender is model P474-1100RF.

The thermostat worked great through the winter. All the programming functions worked fine, and it did an excellent job controlling the heat in my house. I recently switched it over to Cool. The thermostat kicks on the AC compressor outside, but never turns on the blower in the furnace. I know there's typically a 30 second delay or so, but I let the compressor run for 5 minutes or so before shutting it off. If I switch to Heat, the furnace and blower work fine.

Thinking that there may be some sort of issue with the furnace, I installed my old Honeywell thermostat. The AC works fine. The AC compressor outside turns on, and then the furnace blower turns on about 30 seconds later.

So, I know the issue is with the thermostat. I checked Totaline's website, and they don't have this model listed (http://www.totaline.com/consumer/products.cfm). It's still being sold though - Totaline Wireless Thermostat System - No Need to Rewire

Is anyone familiar with this thermostat? Is there a setting that needs to be changed? I purchased this over 4 months ago, so I don't have any return options. I'd hate for this thing to be a $250 paperweight in the summer.

Thanks for any help!

Rob
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 10:24 AM
    It sounds like The G terminal may not be connected. What wires are hooked to what on the new thermostat?
    Schrader Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrader
    I have a simple 4 wire, 1 stage cooling, 1 stage gas heat system. Over the winter I replaced my Honeywell CT3200 programmable thermostat with a Totaline Wireless Thermostat System. The receiver is model P474-1100REC. The sender is model P474-1100RF.

The thermostat worked great through the winter. All the programming functions worked fine, and it did an excellent job controlling the heat in my house. I recently switched it over to Cool. The thermostat kicks on the AC compressor outside, but never turns on the blower in the furnace. I know there's typically a 30 second delay or so, but I let the compressor run for 5 minutes or so before shutting it off. If I switch to Heat, the furnace and blower work fine.

Thinking that there may be some sort of issue with the furnace, I installed my old Honeywell thermostat. The AC works fine. The AC compressor outside turns on, and then the furnace blower turns on about 30 seconds later.

So, I know the issue is with the thermostat. I checked Totaline's website, and they don't have this model listed (http://www.totaline.com/consumer/products.cfm). It's still being sold though - Totaline Wireless Thermostat System - No Need to Rewire

Is anyone familiar with this thermostat? Is there a setting that needs to be changed? I purchased this over 4 months ago, so I don't have any return options. I'd hate for this thing to be a $250 paperweight in the summer.

Thanks for any help!

Rob
    Would that only effect Cool, and not Heat?

I have the following 4 wires connected at the thermostat:

Green to G
    Yellow to Y1
    White to W1
    Red to R
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Yes it would, the thermostat sends 24 volts to the control board through the "G" terminal when the call for A/C is made, check and make sure the green wire is secure on the control board, if so you may have a faulty relay on the control board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower on furnace is possessed - turns on by itself [ 15 Answers ]

The blower on my Goodman gas furnace came on all by itself tonight? Every 5-10 minutes the blower turns on for approx 1 minute then turns off by itself. Then the cycle repeats. I verified that the thermostat is in the off position (no heat/no cool) and that the fan switch was set to auto. I...

Outside A/C compressor comes on when furnace turns on [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Rheem HVAC system and when in the AC mode, my system works just fine, however when in the Heat mode, the a/c compressor comes on outside when the furnace comes on. I tried replacing the thermostat and the problem persisted. I'm not sure when this problem started as we have only...

Furnace blower turns on and off [ 4 Answers ]

Furnace comes on and heats properly. After it turns off the blower kicks on and off several times more times.

Furnace blower cycles with Thermostat off [ 2 Answers ]

Have Goodman Furnace built 1994. Worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. It starts cycling, and the heat icon does not show on the thermostat. I turn the thermostat off, the furnace continues to blow. Last night to verify, took the thermostat off the wall (but still had the furnace plugged in and...

View more questions Search