Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atyling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Auto Restart
    Hi,

I would like to find out what cause auto-restart of the computer.

Recently, my PC has been auto-restarting when I try to run a game. ='(
    I have been running this games for quite some times & doesn't seem to have this problem only till recently.

Could someone tell me what happen? :(

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 11:52 PM
    Personally, I am not sure. But, the following sites may be of help to you. I hope that they are. You may have a virus or Windows may be automatically restarting after installing updates.

Auto reboot with automatic restart off... - Windows BBS

Keith Devens .com - Weblog: Tip: Disable Auto Restart in Windows Update - June 26, 2006
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 17, 2007, 12:37 AM
    It could be a non-compatible program. But then it would not ever work.
    I get this all the time because I am using Vista and allot of stuff isn't compatible yet.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
    You could try a system restore. What have you installed / changed recently? If you've been running it successfully before, something must have changed... Could be a virus like Clough said.

Do a full scan, run ad-adware, spybot, and ccleaner as general maintenance.
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 03:22 AM
    Two likely scenarios... 1. Either your video card drivers or a Windows video driver has become corrupt, or 2, you have a virus. Delete all video drivers for your card if they are listed in add/remove programs in your control panel. Then go to device manager and within the hardware list remove all video adapter devices (if you are unfamiliar with either process, let me know and I will send you more extensive instructions.) Reboot and let the computer find the card and reload the drivers. If the problem still exists start computer in "Safe Mode" and see if the computer continues to reboot. If it does, run a complete virus, spyware, adware process as suggested by another user. Then reboot normally. If problem continues run Windows Malware program. It can be found on the MS Support website. If the problem still persists get a new file of video drivers for your video card and repeat a complete uninstall of video adapter and drivers but this time use the new drivers you obtained for your card. A do not think a Windows XP installation repair will solve your problem if you are still having issues at this point. You will need to do a clean install which means saving all of your critical data to a second hard drive. When you do a fresh install all of your data on the system drive will be deleted. Ain't Windows grand??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace won't restart [ 27 Answers ]

Furnace will not restart, when temp. drops. When you turn the furnace switch off and then on the furnace will restart. This will happen several times a day, if nobody is home for a while it can get pretty cold.

Computer restart automatcally [ 1 Answers ]

Why computer restart automatically ? When I try shut down PC after select shutdown PC restart. Pl tel what to do?

Restart Message [ 2 Answers ]

I loaded a program (a wireless mouse) and shut down the computer with out restarting. Now every time I start it up I get a message asking me if I want to restart to complete the update yes or no. If I restart I just get the same message no matter how many times I restart so I click "no" and the...

Using dos to turn off auto restart on error with windows 2000 pro [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to change the auto restart on error from dos with windows 2000 pro. When I log on with the imported username from the old os, (there was no password) the machine "applys user setttings" then immidiatly logs off! And asks me for the username and password and goes...

Problems on restart [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, newbi here, I just wanted to say hello and pose a question . I've learned a lot of useful information here in the past and I hope someone can help. I'm running MS xp Home Edition, I recently discovered a problem where upon restart , my desktop appears but my mouse and keyboard are frozen....

View more questions Search