Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KIM BURGERS Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2016, 03:29 PM
    Need help determining which wires to hook up to 240 V air circulating squirrel cage m
    I have a Franklin Electric 208-240 V 1/4 HP 1050 rpm cont air over electric motor. Other numbers are 8745860160 and 51-20177-01-02. 60Hz 2.0 amp 5MFD/370VAC. It has 7 wires coming out of it. They are: two orange, 1 red, 1black, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 brown plus a green pig tail bolted to the case. I have a two terminal capacitor 7.5 uf 440 V 60 Hz also with a case grounding green pig tail.
    I want to know which color wires I should hook up to the capacitor and which color wires I should connect to the two house mains of 120V.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2016, 04:56 PM
    This won't help you much but,

8745860160 Is the manufactures or model number
    51-20177-01-02 is probably a manufactures date and serial number

5MFD/370VAC is the size capacitor required.

You have a 7.5 uf 440 V capacitor

Note that the voltage on a capacitor is the max voltage that can be applied. Not a required voltage.
    You of course have 240 volts.

The micro farads is the storage capacity of a capacitor.
    Motor requires 5MFD capacitor, you have 7.5MFD capacitor (7.5 uf means 7.5 MFD). Should be OK.

This is a 3 speed motor.

Look on the motor label. There you should find the lead identification or diagram.
    The red and black are probably the high voltage input leads. The orange are probably the capacitor leads. The yellow, blue and brown are probably the speed control leads. But that is just a guess. Look for diagram on motor. Assuming I am correct that orange are capacitor leads, it matter not which lead connects to which terminal on the capacitor.

Depending on you application you may or may not use all 3 speeds. For instance you may use 1 for heat and 2 for cooling or 2 for heat and 3 for cooling. Takes more speed to move colder air.

Sorry but all the HVAC technicians left this site some time ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not cooling from squirrel cage blower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... my central air system does not seems to work. We cannot received any cool air at all! We have done everything. Please note the following: - we removed heat exchanger and cleaned thoroughly with special chemical which removed a lot of grease and dirt - the cold water going in the coil is...

Squirrel cage noise [ 0 Answers ]

There was a slight rattle coming from my furnace fan. I opened up the intake grate, saw some screws gilding the fan to the bottom of the cage, and proceeded to tighten them. Now there is a new noise that sounds like some is off kilter or out of alignment - like a low far off helicopter noise. I...

Will a non-centered squirrel cage cause rumbling? [ 3 Answers ]

The squirrel cage is tight on the motor shaft, but could be a bit off center of the flame tube. Would this cause the heater to rumble when it is ignited?

Motor or squirrel cage mount? [ 2 Answers ]

Air conditioner only makes low pitched whining noise when squirrel cage is coming to a stop after turning off the motor.

Balancing a squirrel cage [ 2 Answers ]

When we moved into our house, the furnace was filthy. Previous tenants didn't use filters. While removing a grocery sack full of dust, dirt & lint, the balancing weights on the squirrel cage came off. They didn't appear to be in great condition either. Where would I take the cage to have it...

View more questions Search