Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgardner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Ownership of Propane Tank
    We purchased a house 3 years ago. We were told the propane tank which is used for heat, hot water and cooking, belongs to us as the original owner purchased it. We were having a company who had been filling it for the previous owner do so for us. Then we found another company filling it one day. When we inquired about it, that company said the tank was theirs. They offered no proof though. My husband just took their word for it. Later that company sold out to still another propane company who insisted that we sign a lease for the tank. Since then they have charged us outrageous prices (double the going rate) for our propane . When I confronted the driver with the last fill up he called his boss and they consented to match whatever price we had gotten from another company. When the bill came that price was not matched and we are still charged over $4.00 a gallon. I would like to know how I can go about finding out whether that tank is truly ours. There is no company name on the tank at all, only a serial number.

I appreciate any advise you can give me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 09:10 AM
    The going rate, at least in Illinois, for propane is about $2 gal. Tanks can be leased or owned by the property owner. You need to go back and review your closing papers to see if it was included in the sale. Now if you signed that new lease afreement you may have complicated things. Tell the 3rd company that you own the tanl and tell them to prove otherwise. Also, call around, there should be other suppliers who can give you a better price.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 9, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Tell them to take the tank and get another co to supply one. I don't know how anyone can prove they own it. But if you do get a new one the co claiming ownership won't take it they will put a lock on it and leave it in your yard, make sure they take it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
    It has been my experience that propane tanks, sheds, docks, etc... are listed in closing papers. If the tank is not specifically listed, you don't own it. A new company will not give your free tank. You can buy a 500 gal for about $700 or lease it from the new company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car ownership [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a used car from a guy a year ago and paid it off last summer. The guys office burned and all of his records went with it. He's still saying that I owe him money. He already put the title in my name and I have it in my possession. The car turned out to be a lemon and I've since paid over...

Transfer of Ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My mother recently became unable to care for her home. She refinanced it and asked me to move in. She is now living with my sister. I am paying the loan even though it's in her name. She has asked me to get information about transferring the ownership. She would like the house to be in...

Ownership of Propane [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a home on the 12th(all papers signed sealed, etc). The home is heated by electric and wood. A propane tank is used for the stove and water heater. The purchase agreement did not specify any particulars, yet on the 26th, the prior owner contacted the propane tank...

Domain Ownership [ 2 Answers ]

Help, First, thanks for having this site. And I'm glad to have joined Background: Now. I created a website called LGBTNation.org. because I was working at another site that was using all my talents for free, and they were making money. So I started my site. Because I have good network...

TW and WC on a propane tank [ 1 Answers ]

What do those stand for? I was looking on some of the common sized ones, and the TW was about 18 - 17.5, 18.9, etc. The WC was closer to 48. Most of the places exchanging tanks here only put in 17-18 pounds which is much less than the tank would hold if the WC is the weight charged, or weight...

View more questions Search