Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    argus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Which Air Handler Circuit Board Wiring Diagram?
    Had a new Heat Pump installed earlier this week by an independent. Guy did a decent job but I found a fault in the air handler wiring so now I'm second guessing this whole deal.

Outdoor unit is a Goodman GSH140421A (3.5 ton)
    Indoor unit is a Goodman AEPF42601 w/10K heat strips

After the installer left, the AC kept running and running, house got colder and colder, regardless of the temp setting on the thermostat. Had to turn the thermostat from Cool to Off and it finally stopped.

Ended up the guy forgot to remove a jumper wire in the air handler unit. I found it and removed it myself by studying the Goodman wiring diagrams for the air handler circuit board. Now the AC works and cycles just fine. Yea! I later phoned him on it and he said, "Oops, I forgot to remove that jumper. You should be OK now though. Sorry."

Again, I'm second guessing some of the other wiring now, and fear I may run into similar problems come winter time when I want some heat.

Here are the air handler instructions: http://www.ncweb.com/~jsbuilders/aepf-sup.pdf

My question: Which diagram should I be following on page 3 because one involves clipping a jumper (and tying E & W2 together on the thermostat according to the hard copy in front of me, although it isn't shown that way on the online instructions linked above).

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
    I suggest you call the guy that installed your unit back if you have any questions. The reason for this is the new equiptment is very sensitive to incorrect wiring and you can create a lot of damage unless you really know what you are doing. If you want to play HVAC man I suggest you take a course at the local trade school. I say this for your own good. I have seen many a home owner really mess there furnace/heat pump/A/C units up over the years by playing with or trying to check for a mistake that the professional made. Now if you do mess it up you will have to call him back anyway and pay him for his time and parts because your unit will not be covered under warranty.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 10:12 PM
    You do know any work you do on the unit will void the warranty! Its new and under warranty let them come back and fix it for free. If my new car broke down I would not try to fix it , I would take it back to the dealer. Warranty!! You paid for it, why not use it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New air handler hook up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a burnam oil fired boiler w/ 2 air handlers for both heating and cooling. I am adding a 3rd air handler it's the same as my others but newer and has a circuit board instead of selinoids and relays The air handler is a First Co model #36HBXB-HW, a TACO571-2 zone valve and a Robertshaw 9400...

Air handler doesn't start [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioning unit outside will be running, but the air handler in the garage will not start. I have to turn off the thermostat and turn it back on to get the handler to start. Is there a switch or valve on the handler that can be replaced? It is a Janitrol

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. ...

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

View more questions Search