Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Jae Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Credit verification
    Questions:

How can collections be reported to you when/if the social is wrong but everything else right or when you never gave a social at all...

i.e. a collection agency represents a company you never disclosed your social to... how does that happen. And when you try to validate the debt it gets verified but they never had your social!
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 8, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Information within the credit reporting agencies has a numerical value. The highest value given is that of the Social Security Number. However, if the correct name and the correct address is entered,(together that value is higher than just the SSN) it will pull the Social Security number. Once they record the number, they have all three. This is one reason why naming the son the same as the father can really mess up both their credit reports.

If the correct name and correct address is entered, and a clerical mistake is made with one of the numbers in the Social Security Number, the system will correct that number in the print out.

Mar 8, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Wow- Thanks!

And if you dispute it, will it still come back to you?

Mar 8, 2007, 12:56 PM
    You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify information in your file that is incomplete or inaccurate, and report it to the consumer reporting agency, the agency must investigate unless your dispute is frivolous. See The FTC's web site on Credit for an explanation of dispute procedures. FYI: Inaccurate or incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days.

Mar 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
    So the fact that they have a name and address and not a correct social or a social can get it removed from your report?

Mar 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
    No. Pull your credit and review it. If something is not accurate, contact the credit reporting agency to have it reviewed. You can obtain a free copy of your credit report from each of the three agencies by going to AnnualCreditReport.com There is NO cost or obligation at this website only.

Mar 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
    I have but they keep saying its verified

Mar 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Is it something you co-signed for? Is it your debt? Maybe a few additional facts will let us help you.

Mar 8, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Its my debt but its from a collection agency that never had my social security number. So Im trying to figure out how it ended up on my report. But you said its by points and name and add. Is sufficient.

So then I asked if I dispute since they can't verify social what will happen?

Mar 8, 2007, 02:48 PM
    The collection agency is collecting for a company that you did business with. If you established credit with this company, you probably wrote down your social security number and agreed to pay for the object or service they provided. You admitted that this is your debt. If it is your debt, then the collection agency, hired by the company, has a right to place the information on your credit report.

Mar 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GPA Verification [ 2 Answers ]

Can employers request and get GPA info from your school?

College Education Verification [ 1 Answers ]

How often do employers really verify college education info? Do they contact the college on their own or should I provide them with the number? I doctored my resume up just a little and I'm just curious. I'm having a hard time finding a job and thought I'd make my qualifications a little more...

Verification of supposed death [ 2 Answers ]

If I live in the USA, what must I do to verify the supposed death of someone in China without having to pay a private inverstigator $300.00.

How is degree verification done? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, I am going to be offering some positions and I may want to require a degree/s. What is the usual way an employer goes about accepting that an applicant has a degree or not? Just accept that the applicant is telling the truth? Asking to see the degree?

View more questions Search