Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    will249 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 07:11 PM
    GE Furnace won't stay lit
    We've got an old (25y.o.) GE mod #BLD106F furnace, and it refuses to stay lit. The igniter will ignite the gas, then as soon as the spark goes out, the gas shuts down. Ends up sounding like woof woof woof. We replaced the Pilot Detector to no avail.
    To make matters more confusing, it will lite once in a while.
    Appreciate any help.
    Cold & confused...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Check the pilot orface to make sure it is completely open.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 05:50 PM
    I think that model had a mercury filled auto pilot, if the auto pilot was replaced there was a special risistor kit that had to go with the new one, if the auto pilot mounted on the gas valve. If the auto pilot mounts on the side wall of the furnace that kit was not necessary. My next guess would be a bad gas valve. I would also be sure to do a complete safety inspection, there is a reason I don't see that model anymore, but it was a great! Furnace. I would also blow out the pilot, burners and flame extenders while you are at it. A good service company will do a check and service for about 100 dollars and tell you what is wrong with it while they are there and tell you how much the repair will cost in addition.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 06:50 PM
    I agree with NorthernHeat about the resistor kit. I had a problem with one of these awhile back. The resistors in both configurations are NLA from White Rodgers. Mr. Black VP at WR said that the gas valve was a OEM style that used the resistors (both plug in panel and block style) back in the late 70's early 80's and they were usually on York,Moncrief style furnaces. The OEM valve has not been made since 1980 when the problem was discovered.

Like was said above a good service company with a older tech who would know this is your best bet at this time but do not be surprised if they recommend a new furnace. The one that you have has to be very old and gave meny years of service. On the other hand there could be one of the resistors sitting on a supply shelf waiting to be sold. You never know.
    will249 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Check the pilot orface to make sure it is completely open.
    Thanks a lot! Took the pilot 'y apart and there were two small holes, one of which was partally plugged. Ran chem cleaner through it and them reverse blew it out. Works great now.
    Thanks Again~~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

About 1 month ago pilo light wouldn't stay lit so I replaced the thermocouple.. The unit worked fine for about 2 weeks. After that when relighting it would go out after 1 day or so. Bought a new thermocouple and this one would only keep the pilot lit for 1 to 2 hours. Reinstalled the thermocouple I...

Furnace won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

Our Heil Furnace pilot light won't stay lit. When pilot knob is turned on, we can ignite the flame, but as soon as we release knob the pilot light goes out. We also replaced the thermo coupling and it still did not stay lit/worked. Could it be the valve/knob? Would any one have any suggestions?

Burners won't stay lit! [ 2 Answers ]

Please help. My furnace will come on when it is supposed to, glow plug will glow, then after a few seconds the burners will come on, but they will not stay on. They fire up for about five seconds then shout down. This will cycle a couple of time then the furnace then just totally quits. Ant ideas? ...

Flame will not stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

My HVAC is 'Day and Night Forced Air" and my problem is the flame after it is ignited by the auto pilot will not stay, the auto system goes to its cycle of purgingand lightoff but the flame will not stay lit. I already ensure that the furnace doors are placed properly and I believe my thermostat...

Burners won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

-- need more help in figuring out flame sensor or roll out switch - Weather King --- ICECO --- 80 PJ --- forced air --- Honeywell valve (on/off switch)---burners light for 1 or 2 seconds, then go out

View more questions Search