Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juniemoon55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 08:39 PM
    Txv replacement
    Do you need to evac the system when you replace the txv in the air handler or is there some type of cut-off switch that is present?
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 1, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Yes, the tech (as the other person replied) if qualified and actually does the job right will do this.

Pump down the refrigerant into the condenser (saving you from having to buy new and very expensive r-22)

Change out the indoor txv (I believe you said indoor - outdoor txv changes things $ wise big time)

Add a liquid line filter dryer

Braze in all connections

Leak test with nitrogen

Vacuum to at least 500 microns once, maybe twice with a nitrogen blast in between

Then open the valves and you should be back in business.

Just be sure that is what is going on: TXV's can be misdiagnosed very easily. Did he say exactly what brought him to that conclusion?

RE new unit. You are in the 'twilight zone' unfortunately. Past 15 years you are money in the bank every day as far as I am concerned. If you go new (and I hate to say it) go 410a. It is just the way the man is making things go as much as it bites.

Here's a vid on TXV's this one is an indoor and compression fittings, some are sweat in fittings.

TXV tour and problems - thermal-medics FREE online air conditioning repair and info site from Phoenix AZ

One on r-22 vs r-410a

R-22 vs R-410a Head to head!! - thermal-medics FREE online air conditioning repair and info site from Phoenix AZ

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TXV replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 11 year old Lennox heatpump unit. I had my annual service today and the tech said that I need to replace the TXV unit. The following is what he quoted me: Parts $43 Recover/vacuum/recharge/drier $592 TXV Labor ...

TXV repair/replacement procedures [ 3 Answers ]

I just had my 9 year old 2 1/2 ton home Carrier Air Conditioner inspected by a service man. I does not put out hot air in heat mode nor cold air in cool mode. It runs a long time in response to the thermostat. The charge (F22) is good. The units are clean. When checking pressures, the suction...

Txv replacement [ 5 Answers ]

We have an under three-year-old, 5 ton Lennox unit that recently started blowing warm air. The A/C service guy found the evaporator had iced over. We turned the compressor off for three days to let the evaporator thaw. When the service guy returned, he turned on the A/C and it worked fine. ...

Txv valve replacement cost [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Amana package unit on the roof, I have been told that it will cost $1200 to replace the TXV valve, 4 hours to drain and reclaim the free-on(R22). Can the re-claimed R22 be put back into the unit and does $1200 sound like the right price? I happpen to know that you can replace a compressor...

View more questions Search