Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JayBrads Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 04:24 AM
    Why doesn't my central ac compressor turn on?
    I recently replace my cental ac fan motor because the old one seized. I also replace the capacitor. All of the # from the old match the new. Now when my ac turns on I hear a shot buzz like it is trying to turn my compressor on, but the compressor does not turn on. Both the fan inside and outside turn on a run. Could this be related to a bad relay, low freon, bay thermostat or what? It has been in the high 90's and low 100's for several days and this is not normal. There is no ice anywhere inside or out that I can see. Help?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 05:02 AM

Check compressor wiring to capacitor.
    JayBrads Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Thanks. I check the wres and all looked good. I had the HVAC guy here this AM. He added a booster capacitor for the compressor. The capacitor I had was working correctly, but just wasn't giving enough juice to start the compressor every time. So far so good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Central AC compressor stays on even after I turn off [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the story... BTW, I know absolutely nothing about Central Air Units, so please bear with me on this -- My AC in my house was running non-stop this past summer-like weekend here in NJ. I have one part of the unit in my attic hanging on brackets from the rafters (is it called the handler?) and...

Air conditioning compressor fan won't turn on. Compressor hums [ 3 Answers ]

Fan is now turning after I nudged it with a screwdriver. However, air is not cooling.

Should my central AC compressor turn on when the furnace heat comes on? [ 1 Answers ]

I just noticed that when my furnace comes on to heat the house, the outside central AC compressor fan comes on. I thought that the central AC compressor was not used while the furnace provides heat, just the air handler is the same? Can anyone advise whether this is true?

When my home ac turns on the outside compressor and fan turn on then turn off [ 1 Answers ]

When my ac clicks on the outside compressor and fan turn on then turns off. When it runs the air is cool

When you turn on the central ac heater the ac turns on the compressor comes on [ 2 Answers ]

When you turn the heat on a central ac the ac comes on instead it says heat on the control panel but the ac comes on.

View more questions Search