Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbloom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2011, 05:26 PM
    Outside unit running no air from inside vents
    Went in attic and when unit is on/set to cool, sounds kind of fluidy... don't think blower motor is running. Can I check this myself? Is it the capacitor? What was that noise? I did not see any frost.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2011, 06:06 PM
    The fluidy sound is freon being pumped through the lines into the evaporater coil from outside unit. You can try setting the tstat to fan/fan only instead of the auto position. Do you feel /hear the blower running now? Blowing air into your supply vents. If no you just might have a bad blower motor, it possible could be a bad capicitor that connects to the motor

Jul 16, 2011, 07:45 PM
    Fan will not run in fan mode either. The unit is leaking condensation, but it seems to be leaking from a sealed area (caulk and taped up). Maybe that area is full of water, preventing fan from running?
    hvacprof Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2011, 07:51 PM
    There are only three reasons for air not coming from the supply vents.

1. You have a faulty motor or capacitor or broken blower wheel
    2. Airflow - plugged air filter, plugged evaporator coil, frozen up evap coil
    3. Blower circuit board or blower relay is not energizing the blower motor

First, check the filter
    Second, set the thermostat to the off position. Then turn subbase or stat to FAN ON - If you hear the blower motor running it should be pushing air. If the motor is running and still no air coming out see above - airflow
    Third - try and get into the habit of having a real pro check your system.

We recently conducted a study at our company and found that over 80% of our nuisance service calls could have been eliminated through routine maintenance.

I hope this helps...
    hvacprof Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Actually what you have is a froze up coil. It's best to shut the unit off and let it melt. The moisture you are seeing is from the ice melting off the coil. This can be a HUGE problem if not fixed correctly. Mold, leaking through ceiling and damage to the compressor. FYI- if you continue to run the unit in this condition without proper reapir could result in COMPLETE DAMAGE to the compressor.

You probably have an airflow problem, bad motor or a refrigerant problem. Call a pro and have it checked out. Regardless, even if it is a blower - you still should have the refrigerant charge checked and that is nothing you could do unless you have the know how and tools.

Also, make sure you have the tech add a Freeze Control to the suction line and a ceiling saver / wet switch at the air handler. It may cost you a few hundred bucks but these two devices will save you a hassle later and possibly a major insurance claim.

Again, I hope this helps.

Jul 18, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Blower motor was fine
    Condensation fried the PC Board
    Changed PC board and cleaned drain pipes. Added T to each so I can maintain drainpipes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C unit running no air blowing from vents [ 2 Answers ]

Ouside A/C unit running but no air is flowing through inside vents

My central air is not blowing through the vents. Condenser unit is running. [ 3 Answers ]

Just noticed no air coming from the inside vents. Checked and the intake air is not pulling in any air. System is set to Auto and Cool. Outside condenser unit is running but see a little ice build up on the connection from the house. I have turned the system to off and the fan to on but still no...

Home air conditioning unit is running no air blowing from vents [ 5 Answers ]

My a/c unit runs but, no air coming through vents the temp in house stays the same. I looked at it on the roof and water is heavily dripping from it. The unit is off now

Outside unit running but no air blowing from vents [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, here is my question. I came home from work and the house was cool but I thought I smelled a slight burning scent. After a while I stopped smelling it so I forgot about it. About 2 hours later I noticed it was getting warmer in the house so I looke at the thermostat and the temp had gon...

AC Unit Running but No air through Vents [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 2 story home and the AC unit for the bottom floor is not working properly. Unit is running outside, but no air period is coming out of the vents. I went into the crawlspace and nothing is blocking the duct work. I opened the panel on the side of the AC unit and the coil has frost on it....

View more questions Search