Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Central heat freezing up
    My central heat runs for about 8 hours and thin freezes up with about 3 inches of ice around the whole thing
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Sounds like to me that you have a heat pump and that it is not going in to the defrost mode. To get rid of the ice that is there urn the unit off or put it on emergency heat. You may need a Tech to check it out. Several things can cause this.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Is it Ice or frost? Frost is normal, ice is not.

Jan 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Is it Ice or frost? Frost is normal, ice is not.
    Mostly frost but it gets about 3 inches thick

Jan 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    Sounds like to me that you have a heat pump and that it is not going in to the defrost mode. To get rid of the ice that is there urn the unit off or put it on emergency heat. You may need a Tech to check it out. Several things can cause this.
    What is the emergency heat
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 07:18 AM
    There should be a switch on the thermostat for emergency heat, it is a back up heat source for those very cold days when the heat pump can no longer keep up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central heat problems [ 2 Answers ]

On our central heat unit the pilot is lit, but when we turn the thermostat up the unit will not come on. The fan blows when its at the on position. Please help. It's cold

Central heat [ 1 Answers ]

The other day my central heat quit blowing hot air. I can feel cool air and the thermostat will be set at 72, but the temperature never raises higher than the temperature of the house. Does the thermostat need to be replaced or is it a wiring problem or something wrong with the actual heater? I can...

Too much condensation w/ central gas heat [ 2 Answers ]

I knew something was wrong when I came home and all my windows were fogged up. I do live in Alabama- it's been raining all day and is 41. When the gas central heat comes on it's like a sauna! What's going on?

Central unit freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell what's going on

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search