Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricks88s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2011, 09:50 PM
    Maytag window a/c unit.when compressor kicks on fan runs backwards
    Can anyone tell me why my Matag window a/c fan motor runs backwards when compressor kicks on? When the compressor shuts off the fan slows down and then runs the right way.Unit is about 4 years old and still runs cool, but amount of cold air that comes out now has been deminished when comp. kicks on.Thank you Rick
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2011, 08:35 AM
    You have a short somewhere and the only way to find it is to take the wires loose from each component and check if it is grounded. If the compressor is grounded it will have to be replaced or you will need a new unit. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan on Outside Unit reverses direction when compressor kicks on [ 20 Answers ]

I have a Lennox 12ACB30-4P Value Series manufactured in 1996. It came with the house I bought 3 years ago. The unit never gave me any problem until 1 week ago when it would not cool. The fan would run, but the compressor would not kick in. There was a buzz every 20 seconds or so. A tech was...

Fan runs backwards [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a new heat pump fan motor and it runs backwards. The motor has two line wires (black and yellow) I have black plugged into the relay. The cap wires were brown and brown and white. The old ones I removed were purple and brown. Any ideas? Thanks

Heat pump outdoor fan runs not compressor voltage at compressor good. New compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new compressor. Just replaced fan runs compressor does not, have voltage at the compressor plug? What could stop from coming on high side and low side equal at 100psig.

Condensing unit fan stops compressor still runs? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 561C, about 7 years old. The Fan on the outside condensing unit would stop but the compressor would stay running. Tested the fan motor and it was drawing high amps. Replaced the fan motor but the unit will run for about 30 to 45 minutes. And the fan will stop but the compressor...

Central A/C outside runs but compressor kicks on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just cleaned the complete system, at furnace and outside. Had unit serviced (Sears Kenmore) for low freon, now when I turn on A/C the fan outside runs OK but the compressor kicks on then off after 10 seconds. This is the first time I ran the unit since it was serviced by a technician. Could this...

View more questions Search