Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melodygardens Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Electric furnace humming even when not running
    Hi everyone. I have a question about an electric heater I just got. It is a Dayton model TYV14, 240 volt, 38 amp, 9.2kwh.

It seems to be working OK, thermostat is OK, but the question I have is should it make a humming sound, even when not in a heating/blowing cycle? There is a very quiet hum from the unit at all times. It is brand new, so hopefully in good working order.

Is a hum normal in this case?

Thank you,

Melody
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 03:28 PM
    It is from the transformer, which is essentially a big electro magnet. I have put rubber feet on, and relocated transformers to solve this complaint.

Jan 26, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Thanks NorthernHeat. So if the transformer is humming, then I guess it is drawing current all the time? Doesn't seem very efficient. Is it a large electricity drain?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Transformer produce what's called inductance reactance, that is resistance to current flow, this is true of all inducers. Not until current starts to flow in the low voltage coil of the transformer does current start to flow heavily in the high voltage coil of the transformer. That is what they do. Transform voltage up or down from their source voltage.

Your home is full of transformers, nearly every appliance you own has one. That box you charge you cell phone with.. is a transformer. So don't worry about it, when the appliance is off very little power is used in the transformer.

There are many electrical formula's to determine how much power is consumed by a transformer. But trust in the fact, the enineers have designed them to use very little power when they are at rest, or they would get very hot and even pose many fire hazards.

Jan 27, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Thanks again NorthernHeat.

Melody
    kenz35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 10:30 AM
    My is doing the same so its OK to do this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace won't keep running [ 9 Answers ]

I have a programmable thermostat. In the morning when the furnace comes on it will run for one cycle and then stop. In order to get it to start again, I have to turn off the heat and then turn it back on again. I have had technicians out several times. They have replaced various parts and...

Electric furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I can hear the furnace trying to come on. I hear an elctric switch come on for about 1 1/2 seconds and the stop. It keeps on doing this. What do I do?

Colman electric furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a colman electric furnace in a late 80's mobile home. When the thermostate turns on the heating elements get hot but the fan will not start for 3 to 5 minutes. It will start after this time and run out the cycle. What keeps the motor from starting in this 3 to 5 minutes? Yes it is turned off...

Running Electric, Cat5, and Telephone Cables [ 1 Answers ]

Hi -- I'm new to this site! Thanks for making it available. I have a new 18x36' shed that I am going to put a sub-panel in. The sub-panel will be 100 amps and is approximately 120' from the main panel located in the main house. So, I will be running underground electric cable from the main...

View more questions Search