Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peter F Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Goodman Nat Gas Furnace - Help me confirm Pressure Swith failure
    First just want to say HVAC1000 and these forums have been very helpful to me in the past, in particular with a limit switch problem and I even got help getting a proper manual. I'm pretty sure my problem is the pressure switch so I'm hoping for a quick confirmation.

I've got a Goodman natural gas furnace (GMP075-3 Rev B) that's at least 10 years old. About a year ago I replaced a faulty limit switch (thanks HVAC1000). It has power and the fan blows when called by the thermostat, but there is no flame. As a test, I turned off power, waited a minute, then turned it back on. There is a sharp click and the fan starts immediately. Normally I would be able to see the flames on the burners in less than a minute, but there are no flames. To my understanding, there is no pilot for this furnace. The trouble light blinks 3 times and repeats. For this, the manual says check "vent or pressure switch vent blockage". Furnace was actively running when it failed in the middle of the night.

I removed both wires from the pressure switch, then turned the power on. After fan started, I jumpered the wires and in less than a minute the burners started. So this must be it, right? End of story? Anything else to test?

Please confirm for me that this must mean that the pressure switch is bad and needs replacing.

Here's my manual:
    http://www.hvacpartsshop.com/Gmph075-4%20Series.Pdf

On Page 43 under "Pressure Switch Trip Points & Usage Chart" it shows part number B13701-33, if I'm reading it correctly. I can get it locally for about $30 (fair price), but it's not in stock and I'll have to wait until tomorrow for them to special order and rush ship it. Images I found online look right, but I'll have to buy it before I can put my hands on it. The local HVAC store says he can test it as one final confirmation, but I'll pretty much have to buy it first. So, any confirmation on the problem itself or the part number is greatly appreciated!

Seeing how the most quick I can get a pressure switch is tomorrow, would there be any harm in jumpering the wires of the pressure switch just for tonight? (See below.. I've ruled out other problems). If this just isn't safe, it's okay because I have a wood stove and enough wood to keep the house warm enough for a few days.

Things I tried before getting to this point:

- Made sure gas is on and thermostat is set to heat and calling for it.

- Removed the galvanized 3" exhaust pipe temporarily for test purposes. I ran furnace for a couple minutes but no change. Exiting air flow was strong and clearly not blocked.

- Removed the hose that goes from the pressure switch to the (what I'm going to call) fan chassis nipple and made certain it was clear. This is the only hose I could find.

- Jumpered the wires for the limit switch I replaced last year. It's still good.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Do not operate the furnace without the switch. This is a safety issue. I feel you are on the right track by replacing the defective switch so get it on order and replace it when it comes in. Now if you want to stand in front of the furnace acting as a manual safety control during its non-safe operation that will be your gamble.
    Peter F Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 07:14 AM
    Thanks man. I've got a wife and kids (and a wood stove) so last night I played it safe and didn't bypass the switch.

I'm surprised to tell you that it turns out the power switch was NOT the problem. I got some obscure advice from a different DIY forum which turned to be the solution. Apparently, the nipple that protrudes from the motor housing (that holds the hose going to the power switch) has a tendency to get rusty. I took a 1/16" drill bit and manually reamed out the nipple, ran the furnace for a bit to blow out the rust dust, reattached the hose and (original) PS, turned it back on and it worked! Apparently this is a common issue with this model so I taped the drill bit to the furnace as storage for future problems.

Thanks for your advice and concern. Have a good one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower failure on Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Concord 80 plus gas furnace and the blower fails to initiate, causing the burners to shup down after just a few seconds. :(

Confirm need new limit switch? (goodman gmp075-3) [ 11 Answers ]

Please help troubleshoot nat gas Goodman furnace. Power on. Fan/blower runs constantly, but no heat. No flame. 4 blinks. No manual, but I believe this to mean "open limit" by reading other posts for this model furnace. Furnace filter was very dirty and has been replaced. Traced wires back...

I have a Goodman gas furnace. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Goodman gas furnace approx 6 years old. When we turn the unit on at the thermostat the ignitor will glow red but the pilot is not coming on. I have replaced the flame sensor. Any suggestions? The LED was flashing 1 blink for possible ignitor or flame sensor but has sense quit flashing. ...

Goodman gas funace pressure switch problem [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Goodman 93% efficient furnace that short cycles the gas burners. It cycles the vent on, starts the igniter, fires the burners and kicks on the blower but the burners only stay on for a short time ( less than 30 seconds). The led on the circuit board gives me 3 flashes indicating " pressure...

Goodman Gas Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Up until yesterday my furnace was working fine now it does not come on at all. I have turned off the power to it and the breaker and still nothing. I also have tried turning on the air and that does not come on either. I don't know the model number but I have been using it for about 4 years now.

View more questions Search