Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdunkin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Thermostat will not keep temperature setting
    The problem we have usually happens when it gets really cold, about 20 Degrees - We have a Lux electronic thermostat, and the furnace will not kick on when the temperatures goes below the setting. We have to manually do this - then the furnace runs for a little bit, enough to raise the temperature about one degree, then it shuts off and we have to continue to manually re-set the thermostat... so at night, it gets really cold unless we keep manually re-setting it. Also during the day, when we are at work, it gets really cold. We have replaced the thermostat and the same thing happens. We have replaced the wiring from the thermostat to the furnace - as well as adjusting the damper. We were wondering if the having the exhaust go out the side of the house instead of the roof would make a difference. We've had a technician out once, but he couldn't figure it out. The furnace is just a few years old. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Go to the furnace. Connect a wire between the R and W terminals of the thermostat wire. If the furnace then runs until you disconnect the wire, the problem is in the thermostat. The heat anticipator may need adjusted. See the directions that came with the thermostat.

If the furnace does the same thing, check the airflow and temperature sensors. The controls may be getting an over heated signal and shutting it down.
    murphy79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 06:19 PM
    If the thermostat is not your problem like in my case, you need to trouble shoot your furnace. There is a temperature sensor that is typically located next to one of the end burners. This tells the board the burners are successfully lit. over time the temperature sensor can be contaminated with soot and particulates causing as false reading and the board will shut down the burners. The false read can be intermittant (like in my case). The sensor will have porcelain on it and can be removed and cleaned with an abrasive like steel wool. Some systems use the hot surface ingiter as the sensor and replacing the ignitor could fix the problem. If not, the board may be bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to set my thermostat temperature for maximum saving [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My thermostat's lowest temperature setting for heat is 45 degrees. (I have forced hot air with a gas furnace) When I am home, the temperature is set between 68 - 70. During the day when no one is home it is set at 45 degrees. Some people have told me that this is not good practice...

Programmable Thermostat, Fan runs, Heat/Air do not run in Auto setting [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell, RTH230B. My connections are: R to Rh (red jumper to Rc that came with the unit) W to W Y to Y G to G B to nothing The fan comes on (when set to "on").

Temperature control/thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Our new home of approximately 2000 sq. ft. has two heating sources, a heat pump for the upstairs and a gas furnace for the first floor. We do not have a basement. The stairway is open to a second floor loft with two bedrooms and a bath enclosed. I have set back thermostats on both heaters. I am...

Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the same air temperature feel differently in different parts of the country ? i.e. - Breckenridge, Colorado @ 40 degrees, feels much different than Houston, Texas @ 40 degrees no matter the time of the year.

Temperature of air [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an acoustics experiment in physics. I tested how the amplitude of sound was affected based on the temperature of the air. I know that the speed of sound is affected by temperature. Sound will travel faster in colder air. Likewise it travels fastest in solids, followed by liquids then...

View more questions Search