Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triciaburford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Wiring a new honeywell thermastat to lennox air conditioner
    I have a lennox airconditioner and I am trying to wire a new honeywell thermastat to it.
    There are 8 wires showing but the thermastat only calls for 5.
    I need to find out what colors go to what.
    Colors we have are
    Yellow
    Blue
    Red
    Orange
    White
    Black
    Brown
    Green

The thermastat is a Honeywell rth230b, can someone help?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. Many have RH and RC to allow separate transformers for heating and cooling. With just one red wire, jumper them. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What brand air conditioner is the best [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering buying a new air conditioner unit for my house. The current one is at least 13 years old and keeps giving me problems. Which brand is the best?

Air conditioner condenser air temp [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering if the temp coming form the outdoor condenser should be really warm, like that coming out of a furnace, or just mildly warm, like around 90. Does the temp coming out have anything to do with performance or cost? I ask this because I live in an apartment, and the downstairs...

Air conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. I have actually two questions. Our home is about 7 years old and is extremely hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. Any ideas why. Our attic is unbeleivably hot. Should I instal a fan in there. My second question is can I add an air conditioning unit to my gas furnace(carrier)...

Air Conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

Rencently is was cool outside and I turned off my air conditioner. A couple of days later I wanted to turn it back on. It no longer blew cold air. Everything appears to be working fine. I turned it off and haven't tried to use it until the other night it was cold out and I wanted to heat the house,...

Air Conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

This Summer I installed an 18000 BTU Air Conditioner in a living room window. Will it harm the unit if I leave it in the window for the Winter? I live in Minnesota.

View more questions Search