Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenn. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 09:31 PM
    Burners to gas furnace will not ignite
    The burners to my Day & Night Gas furnace will not ignite. I hear a clicking noise and pilot turns on but the burners will not ignite. I can turn the thermostat to on and the blower works??
    johnehurst Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
    I have exactly the same problem. I've removed the mount screws to the igniter (the small firing unit underneath the gas jets in the top half of that unit) and I can see the spark arc'ing across the firing node. So I know what is making the tick tick tick noise, but no gas gets fired.

I'm working on mine today (new years day). If I come up w/ an answer, I'll try to remember to come back and post and answer.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Oct 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
    Wow,, no one answered this... Must have been a cold Winter...
    No really, the flame detector appears to be defective. It is not sensing the flame from the pilot and the main gas valve won't open.
    I hope you had it fixed!!
    johnehurst Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 06:34 PM
    Ok, I forgot to answer back. I did find the solution. (now let's see if I can remember what it was). I had put in a new thermostat and connected I believe it was the "C" wire, which is optional. After double checking some voltages across various points to the system, I found that it was too high. Not being a H&C guy, I didn't know if a volt and a half was too high or w/in spec. When I mentioned it to my buddy Peter who IS an H&C guy, he asked me if I hooked up the "C" wire by mistake. He said that provides power to the system and is not needed in most cases. I came home, disconnected the "C" wire and BAM it fired.

Groovy.
    p.s. I'm saying all this from memory. It on my new thermostat it said the "C" wire was optional. I think it was "C" it could have been another letter. Whatever it was, the manual DID say it was optional. So my advice is to go back over your connections and see if you have too many wires hooked up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace won't ignite burners [ 6 Answers ]

I own a Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace. The fan will run if I set the thermostat to "Fan On" instead of "Fan Auto". But the burners will not ignite. I have followed the user manual instructions to re-start the furnace, but that didn't work. I have a gas water heater and it is heating so I know the gas...

Gas burners on furnace do not ignite [ 3 Answers ]

The gas burners on my furnace do not ignite. When I turn on the heat at the thermostat and set the temperature to a setting higher than the room temperature I can hear a faint click within a couple of seconds. Within a few more seconds the blower comes on, but the burners never fire up. There is a...

Gas furnace won't ignite. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Inter-City furnace and I installed an electronic thermostat. The furnace pilot will ignite, but when I turn the gas valve from pilot to (on) and turn the thermostat to ( heat), the furnace doesn't come on.

Gas furnace burners won't ignite [ 4 Answers ]

17 year old gas furnace... burners won't ignite. What are the logical troubleshooting steps to solve this problem?

Burners won't ignite--no gas? [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox model GMP075-3. Installed in '95. I've tried resetting according to instructions on access cover panel (turn heat to 'off', turn off power to furnace, turn gas valve to 'off' for 5 minutes, etc.) When I call for heat, small (induction?) fan runs for a few seconds, the igniter unit glows...

View more questions Search