Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    argawrachel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 09:50 PM
    Smell by gas water heater
    We live in the basement of my sister's home. Our closet is right up against another closet that has the water heater in it. A couple weeks ago, we noticed a smell coming into our closet. It smelled like old broccoli and was pretty strong. We turned the water heater off and then a few hours later turned it back on again. The smell went away after turning it off and didn't come back immediately after turning it back on. Then, a few days later, the smell came back again. Any thoughts??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 11, 2010, 06:25 AM

If you shut the gas off and the smell went away and it came back after you turned it back on I would suspect a gas leak or a flame setting that didn't burn all the gas. Is there amy smoke?
    In any respect if any gas appliance begins to have a odor it's time to have it checked out by a pro.
    Better safe then sorry! Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting lp gas water heater to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to convert a lp gas water to a natural gas water heater or will I need to get a new heater?

I have a carrier unit 48kla136-300BE . When I use the heater I get a strong gas smell [ 5 Answers ]

I have a carrier unit 48kla136-300BE . When I use the heater I get a strong gas smell in my business

Can a gas water heater freeze. We have e cold water but no hot water [ 2 Answers ]

.can gas hot water tank freeze

Flexi vs. Black iron gas line to water heater gas valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen gas water heater " install kits" that use the yellow flex appliance line for the gas connection to the gas valve on the water heater. My tank was installed when the house was built and has black iron pipe all the way to the union and into the valve on the tank. I have heard some codes...

Gas Smell around Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a house. The inspector smelled gas and his detector indicated a gas reading around the Hot Water Heater. The sellers had a plumber check it out for a leak. They did a diagnostic test using a liquid soap solution around the gas line, going into the water heater. ...

View more questions Search