Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SALTYSARGE Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Miller oil Furnace
    The light on the reset button keep flashing saying that it is locked out how can it be unlocked
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Please post this as a reply to your previous thread not as a new note.

Dec 25, 2006, 11:42 AM
    First, may I call your attention to the suggested guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Second, my response was not meant to be an answer to your question. But it was meant to help you by showing you how to use this site better. You stand a better chance of getting the right answer if you keep the thread together rather than posting part of the question in different threads.

Your giving me a negative comment in this case was uncalled for and unfair.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SALTYSARGE
    The light on the reset button keep flashing saying that it is locked out how can it be unlocked
    I agree Scott is is unfair, I've had it happen to me before and it stinks.

Secondly, SaltySarge, to try to answer your question. This thread is incomplete, you aren't giving us much information about your furnace to reply with an educated guess. You say the reset button keeps flashing, how do you unlock it? Push the reset botton... Now the problem is: Why does it lock out? Either the burner is not lighting every time, the cad cell is dirty, the ignitor is weak or missadjusted, the pump could be failing causing poor oil pressure, the nozzel is fouled out. But these are all just guess' as to what kind of oil furnace this may be. Is it in a mobile home? How old is it?

Dec 25, 2006, 12:19 PM
    You can choose the Answer This question option or just the Quick answer box or even the quote user to post a response in the same thread. If you didn't understand how the site works, there is a Forum Help category.

What you should have done is ask how to reply in the thread rather then denigrate my attempt to help. Saying my response was not helpful is clearly a negative comment, especially since it wasn't true.

Dec 25, 2006, 12:27 PM
    You didn't send anything but to post this as a reply to your previous thread but you didn't reply to my previous thread. All the rate this answer says is was it helpful or not and your answer was not.

Dec 25, 2006, 12:31 PM
    My furnace is a miller it was installed this year right around August I have 3/4 of a tank of oil I can turn the fan on by pulling the auto button I did this to make sure that I had power to it. When I hit the reset button the only thing that happens is that the light keeps flashing and the diagraham says that it is locked out and I don't know how to get it unlocked. Thank You ScottGem for the information on how to stay in the same thread.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Did you try turning of the main power to the furnace and back on again?

Dec 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Hello yes I did but it didn't work at the time so I am leaving it off for a couple of days and if that doesn't work I guess I will have to call someone. Thank You
    4848 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 04:11 AM
    I have a Scott oil furnace Serial #93110154 & the model #SSV2XS-5-3 When I try's to cut it in sometimes it will not come on we have to go & press the relay switch to get to come on can you tell me any thing about this.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
    CAUTION on oil. Just hitting the reset is not a cure for the problem. The burner is not burning correctly and that is the reason for the SAFETY to kick off. The reset button is a safety switch and should never be pushed more than 2 times before calling for a professional service.
    Some of the problems that could cause the unit to be reset are as follows.
    Air in the oil line.
    Dirty oil filter
    Partially restricted nozzle causing erratic burning of fuel.
    Improper electrode gap.
    Improper nozzle selection to start with.
    Bad or cracked ignition electrodes
    Weak cad detection cell.
    Weak ignition transformer.
    Improper combustion air/burner air setting
    Wrong overdraft setting.
    Weak pump/not nozzle oil pressure to burn properly.
    Plugged pump screen.
    Loose or slipping oil pump to motor connecting device (coupling).
    Low voltage to the heater unit and burner. Needs min 110 volts supplied to unit.
    Most of the above items take special tools to check for proper performance.

I am retired from my business but I serviced oil furnaced for over 40 years and always found a properly installed and serviced oil furnace to be a very reliable source of heat.

If you do not know exactly what you are doing do not do it. If you get the burner running dirty you will soot up the combustion chamber and that will act as an insulator. This will cause you to burn a lot more oil to get the same heat output. Oil furnaces are not really do it yourself friendly to work on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Miller Oil Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a miller oil furnace that was installed in July of 2006 it has been running just fine until now I have power to it but it won't run. I can get the fan to start but when I hit the reset button all I get is the blinking light. Can you help:(

Furnace oil fired [ 7 Answers ]

I have a beckett oil fired furnace, that has an intermittent problem . If I turn it on most of the time it will come on an work perfect however if I set the thermostat to say 70 the furnace will recycle on and of as it should and then it may pop the reset if I reset it now it may start up and work...

Miller trailer furnace problem [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I have a Miller oil furnace in my garage that burns very dark orange and sooty. It also keeps burning inside after the unit shuts down. I have replaced the nozzle twice with no change. The flue from the top of the unit all the way through the roof is clear. Any ideas??

Lennox oil furnace [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure for cleaning a oil furnace, such as cleanouts to heat exchangers and where could I find a exploded view of a lennox oil funace

Oil Burner Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The problem goes like this. Thermostat calls for heat, burner starts and runs for a minute or so and shuts off. After burner shuts off, the blower starts and the burner starts again until the thermostat reaches temp and the burner shuts off blower contiues to run until the low temp limit is...

View more questions Search