Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    choplogik Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
    5-wire fan motor?
    I have a Holmes Products Window Fan Model HAWF 2085T
    This model has two fans, two motors.
    These fans run 2 speeds, and are reversible for exauhst and intake.

My question is how can wire one motor separate from the other, to just run at a single speed. I can control on/off with plug...

These motors have 5 wires

Red
    Green
    Yellow
    Black
    Grey
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 11:59 AM
    How are they wired now? Two of the wires are for the speeds, two for the directions, one is common. I have no idea which is which without looking at it.

Dec 16, 2006, 09:46 AM
    I'll snap some pics tonight, but I've mangled the original state it was in. There were two switches(one for each fan) for direction, and one common switch for Off, Lo, Hi. I think I can find another one like it and show the original setup. Somewhere in the testing of wires, I found a 60 volt reading? But then there were also 2 (relay?)green little boxes which said 240 on them, and the grey wire was hooked to these. Complicated I know, Ill try to get the pics up...
    Do you think this can be run without added components? (relays resistors etc.)
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Ok, I was thinking they were double-wound shaded pole motors. Looks like they are PCS motors. If you wire it as it was originally, it should be very easy to add a second two speed switch to control each motor independently.

Dec 16, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Thanks for speedy reply sir, my problem is I need to use a motor seperatly out of the casing for a project, which creates my problem :-)

Appears this motor is a "Raider Motor" How would I find this manufacturer, not listing on Google..
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 11:31 PM
    I don't see why that's a problem. You wire it the same way outside of the casing that you would in.

It will require the little green box that goes to it and equivalent switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire Furnace - Blower Motor Common Wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire furnace model # FG6RA 096C-12B. I purchased a humidifier to install and do not have the users guide for the furnace. I need to know which wire is the blower motor common wire. Thanks for all your help.

AC Fan Motor - Extra Wire [ 5 Answers ]

The AC fan motor outside went out on my central unit . I purchased a new motor and got home and saw that it had an extra wire coming from the motor. I know where all the other wires attach to. On the "old" capacitor I took off "one brown" and "one black wire". On the side of the new motor it...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search