Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtman11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Furnace oil fired
    I have a beckett oil fired furnace, that has an intermittent problem . If I turn it on most of the time it will come on an work perfect however if I set the thermostat to say 70 the furnace will recycle on and of as it should and then it may pop the reset if I reset it now it may start up and work perfect with no problems or it may make a humming sound and not start .I have found that at times I have used a hair fan around the control where the reset is and it will start sometimes I have used freeze spray and it will start I have even given the end of the burner a tap or 2 and it will start . I have resolder all connection on control board no success. This has been intermittent for several years could it be a bad spot on the burner motor?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Replace the relay and check the photo cell at the burner.
    gtman11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Replace the relay and check the photo cell at the burner.
    Would it be possible to obtain a wiring diagram of the relay system
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 08:43 AM
    You can Google your model for the wiring diagram.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 9, 2006, 12:13 PM
    I would check for voltage at the motor when it should be running to see if it is a motor or control issue. The humming tells me you may have a bad motor. They are relatively cheap.
    charlieb5678 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 04:49 AM
    My oil furnace ran out of oil. I now have oil. I replaced the nozzle and filter and bled the lines. I noticed the electrodes are deeply etched where the springs contact them and the arc across the springs is small (about 1/2) inch. The furnace fires for about 1 minute then cuts out, then nothing but stoot. The cad cell is clean. And (oh yeah) I might have mixed up the wiring when putting it back together. What things could be wrong? The system is just a few year old.
    n4527u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 12:54 PM
    I have a beckett oil furnace "AFG" I have had it surviced 4 times in the last two weeks. It had ignition hard starts, pump ran 10 or more seconds before it would lite. They finally decided it was a week transformer and replaced it. Now it lights very hard, quick ignition, but is loud. Can I turn down the air or adjust it so it doesn't rumble the house when it starts. It quiets down after 30 sec. or so. I guess I can live with it now but I would like to make a little milder when it starts.
    Lindsey138 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by n4527u View Post
    I have a beckett oil furnace "AFG" I have had it surviced 4 times in the last two weeks. it had ignition hard starts, pump ran 10 or more seconds before it would lite. they finally decided it was a week transformer and replaced it. now it lights very hard, quick ignition, but is loud. can i turn down the air or adjust it so it doesnt rumble the house when it starts. it quiets down after 30 sec. or so. I guess i can live with it now but i would like to make alittle milder when it starts.
    Did you get this resolved yet? I have had similar problems with the rumbling. One time it was the drive coupling. It was slipping a little and when it slipped the pressure would drop or pulse. It was probably the best $3.00 part I ever bought. Along with that was the alignment of the pump/coupling. With the unit running you can loosen the two bolts just a little and move the pump just a little and it will correct any wobble which can also have somewhat a pulse effect on the pump and spray. You can feel and hear when it clears.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weil-Mclean oil burning furnace [ 4 Answers ]

The hot water radiators in two of my four zones heating my home are not getting hot even after increasing their thermostats to 80 degrees F. If there is a bubble in the circulating pipes how and from where do I bleed the system? I have a relatively new Weil-Mclean furnace (three years old). Thanks!

Lennox Oil Furnace Problem [ 12 Answers ]

My mom has an oil fired furnace that just stopped working. I replaced the transformer(white rodgers) that has the connections for the Thermostat,flame detector,etc. That didn't fix the problem. I have hit the reset button and that doesn't work either. At one point,I rotated the Fan Limit switch...

Oil Furnace not warming house [ 12 Answers ]

Our oil furnace doesn't give us much heat in our bedrooms which are on the end of our home. We removed a wall in our kitchen a few years ago and it's very uncomfortable now. Our Home is 1354 Sq. Ft. and we think it should be warmer than it is. Any suggestions?

Lennox oil furnace [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure for cleaning a oil furnace, such as cleanouts to heat exchangers and where could I find a exploded view of a lennox oil funace

Oil Burner Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The problem goes like this. Thermostat calls for heat, burner starts and runs for a minute or so and shuts off. After burner shuts off, the blower starts and the burner starts again until the thermostat reaches temp and the burner shuts off blower contiues to run until the low temp limit is...

View more questions Search