Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masala614 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Heater blower turns off after running for couple of hours
    I have a trane xl80 furnace. It was working fine till a week back when I woke up one morning smelling some kind of strange smell (not exactly a burnt smell but similar). I found the furnace working and the blower was off. I realized that to be problem and hence turned the heater off. The fan would not turn on even if it manually was set to ON. I then started the AC and even then the blower wouldn't come on. I just turned it off and then spent some time checking the breakers for any trips. After some time the blower started working when set to ON and also with the heater. The same problem happened again another day. This time I was looking for the blower turning off and immediately noticed that the furnace was still on. I think the problem was something to do with fan control unit, but not sure what. I think some control is getting over heated and turning the fan off. I have the complete heater and fan unit turned off till this is resolved.. wanted to check it there is any thing I can do to check/fix things before calling the service folks.

Thanks in advance.

S
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 08:31 AM
    From everything you have said I'm geared to think it is a bad blower motor or run capacitor
    masala614 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Had a service person look at it today. As luck would have it the blower worked fine when he was there. The service person said if there is a problem it could only be with the control unit (white rodgers ) and that I may need to replace that. He gave me a 800+ quote to replace it. Later on in the night when the fan didn't start along with the heater I checked the control lights. I seemed to be either 2 flashes or 3 flashes (didnt see it long enough, restarted the heater and blower started working). The control schematic said 2 flashes is no gas indicator, which seemed unlikely because I could see the burners working fine. 3 flashes seems to indicate pressure switch problem. Couldn't figure out what that could be. Any ideas?
    Since I wasn't totally convinced by the this service persons answers, planning to get the original installer to take a look again.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 11:11 PM
    Don't pay any 800 dollars until you know what is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pilot light turns off when I turn my heater off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help with this problem I've been having with my heater. I have a Day & Night heater and whenever I turn the heater off, the pilot light goes off and I have to manually light the pilot each time. Any clues on what could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

Furnace blower turns on and off [ 4 Answers ]

Furnace comes on and heats properly. After it turns off the blower kicks on and off several times more times.

Heater won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Frifidaire central heating & air conditioning system 2 years old. Today we set thermostat to cool and the heater continues to run and will not shut off by thermostat control. Pulled the thermostat and heat continues to run. Currently off as I switched off the breaker at the outside unit....

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

How can I make Furnace fan automatically turn off when heater turns off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Thermo Pride OH5-85. There are two manual switches installed next to the unit. One turns on the heater one the fan. I'm unable to find out how to have the heater and fan respond to my thermostat. :confused: Currently if the manual fan switch is on and the manual heater switch is on...

View more questions Search