Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miketizzy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Janitrol HTP1840 to Honeywell RTH7500D
    Hello All, I am new here and looking for some guidance. Please. Thank you. I do apologize in advance as this is the unabridged version.

To begin: I am set to sell a condo in a few weeks and apparently the first stage of heat, the Auxiliary I believe, is not functioning. I lived there for two years without knowing this(I suspected something may have been up) but that goes to show you how little I know about heating systems. It was fine for all intents and purposes but I understand now I have been missing some functionality on my Goodman system.

Now, I have bought a new thermostat in hopes of solving this issue. In fact, I will not be able to sell the condo unless I restore full functionality to the system. I have a couple weeks to get this done.

The story so far: The electrician I brought over to assist me in this (as well as a couple outlets that needed repair) did not want to attempt to install the new thermostat, a RTH7500D, since this is not his strong suit. The problem began when he noticed that there are two wires “nutted” together (white and brown) and he said that did not make sense. Right then and there he recommended I have someone with more knowledge replace the thermostat.

Since time is of the essence and cost a factor, the electrician suggested that I meet a friend who knows more about heating systems. I am waiting on his call. In the meantime I am doing some legwork here just in case he is not familiar with this type of system since we do not have a lot of these up here in New England. It's an air handler with a coil condenser for heat and cool. Can anyone tell me if this is what makes it a heat pump system?

What I know: The first stage of heat as well as the emergency heat does fire up inside of the air handler when it is jumped at the thermostat. Therefore I know it works but believe it most likely is the existing thermostat. A Janitrol HPT1840.

I will enclose a picture.

The wires are currently connected as such

Y - Yellow
    G - Green
    R - Red
    O - Orange
    W2 - Blue
    E - Nothing
    C - Black

With White & Brown nutted together.

The Honeywell RTH7500D user guide is here: http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/69-1730.pdf

It has
    C W2/Aux
    G Y2/E
    Y L
    O/B
    RC
    R

With designations for conventional and Heat Pump.

Can anyone make sense of this for me, and let me know what might the white and brown beign nutted together means? Was something not working to begin with on this thermostat, did someone deactivate the auxiliary heat, emergency heat?

Will my new thermostat be the answer to my prayers?

Thank you all for your time in reading my long winded question.

Mike
    Attached Images

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing intertherm with honeywell rth7500d [ 3 Answers ]

I have a nordyne/intertherm thermostat on heat pump hvac system. Has seven wires: E- emerg heat W- aux heat O- RVS Cooling G- Fan R- 24 Vac hot C- 24 VAC Comm ...

Trane XV80 and Honeywell RTH7500D [ 1 Answers ]

Having some problems. Background: Trane XV80 and Honeywell RTH7500D I have 5 wires coming from the controller board on the gas furnace: W1 (white) R (red) G (green) Y (yellow) and

Baystat 240 to a honeywell rth7500d [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just purchased a Honeywell rth7500d for my home. I currently have a baystat 240 with a Trane heat pump with strip back up. I have tried to trace the wires and figure witch one goes to the new thermostat but with no luck. My baystat has r t o g y x2 b u w. I drew a diagram of the old wires and...

Help with new Honeywell RTH7500D [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I just bought my new thermostat and installed it. Using my old thermostat, an old mercury White-Rodgers, I wiring the Honeywell to what I thought was a "conventional" system. I have gas heat and electric A/C. Outside I have the fan unit which blows air into the compressor and...

RTH7500D honeywell help please [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a Honeywell RTH7500D and am trying to install it, but (as appears to happen frequently) the wiring guide in the install manual does not match the wire labels from the old, non-programmable Stat. What I have in the OLD one: V RH RC G Y

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.