Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TMilne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 07:30 PM
    Goodman furnace troubleshooting
    I put a new board in a GMP070 and the inducing fan motor kicks as normal, then the HSI starts to light but the whole board goes dead within 3 seconds.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 07:39 PM

When you say the whole board go dead what do you nean?

Does the blower motor not start to run, does nothing show up on the fault code indicator?

When you unplug the furnace and re-plug it in does the furnace try to start up again and then cut off after the 3 seconds?

I have one thing for you to try and that is to clean the flame sensor if you have not already done it. If you don't know what it is, it is the wire post sticking up in front of one of the burners, it has a ceramic bace and it atached to the furnace with one wire screwed to the furnace body . Take that screw our and use a fine sand paper or clothe and clean the wire, Replace the sensor and try the furnace again.

If it does not work let me know.

Feb 9, 2010, 07:42 PM

The led goes out and everything shuts down. Inducing moter, HSI and all.The led does not display a code at all.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 08:43 PM

When you unplug the furnace and plug it back in what does it do? Describe it to me.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 08:50 PM

Sounds like a board problem, double, triple, and quadruple check the wiring of the new board. Hope like hell you haven't fried the new board by installing it incorrectly.

What was the reason for replacing the board? Was it doing the same thing before board replacement.

Feb 9, 2010, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    When you unplug the furnace and plug it back in what does it do? Describe it to me.
    It starts normally with the inducing fan motor kicking on. Then after a few seconds the HSI starts to ignite but then the whole process stops. The LED goes out and nothing works until I reset it.

Feb 9, 2010, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    sounds like a board problem,,double, triple, and quadruple check the wiring of the new board. Hope like hell you havent fried the new board by installing it incorrectly.

What was the reason for replacing the board? was it doing the same thing before board replacement.
    I checked the wiring before I energized it. It is wired right. I replaced the board because the furnace was strting noramlly but shutting off after the flame sensor should have dtected flame. I replaced the flame sensor and the problem was exactly the same.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 05:12 PM

It sure does sound like the flame sensor is or was the problem all along. Because it is acting the way it should except in a normal situation the furnace would try to light three to five times, depending what model of furnace you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting goodman furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The flame sensor keep burning out and only run for a couple of minute . Maybe the condensation trap is fully of dirt

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Goodman furnace troubleshooting/pgj036100-1 [ 1 Answers ]

It is a goodman gas pack unit Model PGJ036100-1 the burner will come on and burn for about 5 minutes then shutoff the high limit switch is not tripped. The burner will re-light and burn for 5 minutes again and keeps doing this over and over.

Goodman furnace troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

I went away for a couple of days and returned to a cold house. I have a Goodman Model HCC075ND4R that has Electronic Ignition with Relay + VR80204 - S8600H Control. I can not get it to fully ignite. It tries to ignite over and over again. I see a single blue flame for a short time, but not main...

Troubleshooting Goodman ac unit [ 1 Answers ]

We have a MF house with an older (1999) Goodman ac unit. My partner is pretty handy but neither of us knows anything about this kind of stuff. For a few days the unit was running but not cooling very efficiently, so we thought it might be a filter or something, and went poking around. He found 2...

View more questions Search