Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berniecharest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 11:56 AM
    Water backing up from the drain on the washer machine,drain slow then overflows.
    When water drain from the washer machine it backups and over flows on the floor. I have run a garden hose through the clean out and the water flows through the main pipe OK.
    Have gone up on the roof and try to run garden hose down through but hose only goes down about 4 feet. Should I try running water thur the roof vent?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 01:26 PM
    Hi Bernie...

I am going to assume that the washing machine is the lowest fixture in the basement... yes?

Hard as it to believe, running a hose down the drain line may not actually be a good enough test to determine that the drain line is slowly clogging up.

I can't say for sure, of course, but when I was just starting I can remember a few times that I did the same hose test you did and could not get the drain to back up in any way. Then I would run the washing machine itself to double check and lo and behold after a minute or two or maybe even 3 minutes, say toward the end of the drain cycle those washing machine drains always backed up.'

And that's my point... the main drain lines were only partially clogged and were not an issue for a toilet, a sink, a shower, or even a hose, but when I ran anything with a large VOLUME of water like a washing machine or a filled tub... it always backed up and out the washing machine. When we snaked the drain we almost always found roots in these cases. Please DO NOT take that to mean you have a root issue with your drain line... just the case most of the time.

Anyway, at this point try draining a few full tubs and see if any water backs out the cleanout. If so, the main drain line is partially clogged.

My guess is that you have a partial blockage occurring and you will need to snake the main drain line. You can't rent an electric cable machine at any rental store. Pick up some goggles and leather gloves if you plan to do this yourself.

Back to you...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water overflows from drain pipe for washing machine [ 3 Answers ]

When my washing machine drains, the water from the pipe overflows. What can I do besides calling a plumber? Thanks in advance. Grams!

Washing machine drain overflows [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have been have intermittant drain problem, it seems colder weather causes it to be worse but warmer days can be just as bad. Washer drains and will pretty much drain completely on medium loads but anything larger it will fill the drain and start to overflow. Judging from the size of the...

Washing machine drain overflows [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Back again, as I replaced the trap with a regular 2" trap with union, added a 2" tee to tie into the new vent, which is for 1.5" - 2" pipes, although it seemed rather small as I was looking at it. Glued it all in yesterday and tried my first load of laundry today. Shocked to see...

Washing machine drain overflows [ 12 Answers ]

Every time I use my washing machine the water just pours out of the top of the stack. The P trap is 2-90's, 2" pvc running along the wall and into the drain for the kitchen sink. I have snaked out the drain and found no obstruction, ran a water from a hose and it drains fine, I added an extra 12"...

Washing Machine Drain Overflows [ 3 Answers ]

My washing machine drain overflows on occasion. I recently installed an in-wall box for the valves and drain. The drain is 2" dia and 31" in length, 42" above the floor. There is a trap also 2" and a run of 5" to the main line also 2" in dia. The vent is 1.5" and is clear. It does not always back...

View more questions Search