Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khard158 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Black soot in apartment
    My daughter moved in to a fairly new apartment with heat & air that comes from an electrical unit at the front of the apartment. The unit is similar to something you would see in a hotel room. There is black soot that is on her things. When you rub your finger through it it smears. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It doesn't appear to be regular dust.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Is she burning allot of candles without trimming the wick first?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Could it be drawing it in from the outside? Does it have filters? It is possible the soot is so fine it is going through the filters.
    Khard158 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Khard158
    My daughter moved in to a fairly new apartment with heat & air that comes from an electrical unit at the front of the apartment. The unit is similar to something you would see in a hotel room. There is black soot that is on her things. When you rub your finger through it it smears. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It doesn't appear to be regular dust.
    She is not burning candles, I had that same thought.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Somehow tape a white cover over the incoming air from the furnace/air conditioner run it for a few minutes and then look to see if you see any of the soot on the white cover, this does not mean it is coming from the outside but at least it will let her know if she needs a better filter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to move in to a new studio (one room apartment) in couple of months and I really want To make it look good witout using a lot of money. I've looked at some examples in magazines and I Wonder if I should decorate my room in an extreme Fancy way that I like (such as leopard...

Black Soot [ 7 Answers ]

Checked my gas furnace filter and found it to be totally black. This condition occurred a few months earlier this year. The filter is changed monthly,so there were two filter changes that appeared normal. Is my flue loading? The furnace is 8yrs. Old.

Lights in my apartment [ 5 Answers ]

The lights in my apartment dim and get very bright. It can happen anytime of the day, and just the other day my TV burned out, and my wireless modem, but they are in different rooms. The complex said they would replace the breaker box in my apartment- will this help?

Apartment contracts [ 10 Answers ]

We have lived in our apartment for 27 years. We have new owners and they want us to sign a new contract. The contract states that we will be financially responsible for all repairs due to the apartment and if repairs are not made that they have the right to take personal possessions from your...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search