Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JFhouse Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Gravity furnace pilot is lit but burners aren't working
    I have two large gravity heaters - the kind with asbestos octopus ducts - in my basement. They were made by Pacific Gas Radiator Company (Huntington Park, CA). The pilot lights but the burners do not fire. I try to clean them out each year, but I have the problem repeatedly. On the other unit, the burners fire but they make a repeated popping sound - it appears to be where one or more of the burners are bent. Are there replacement parts for these? I want to avoid pulling out these old beasts if I can. Also, any thoughts about why one unit won't fire at all? Could it be the thermostat?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Replacement parts are not easily available and you will have a difficult search for them. Those units probably have a thermocouple or a pilot generator and the unit is NON 100% shut off. We would need more information like pictures of the controls/pilot to be able to see exactly what you have.

Nov 22, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Thanks for your reply. How do I post photos to this site? I don't see an option for that? Can I email them directly to you?

Nov 22, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Go to advanced then hit the paperclip to open up the area where you stored the pics on your computer.

Nov 23, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Here are some photos. Thanks again.Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 5288
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 4642
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0367.jpg
Views: 4201
Size:  108.9 KB

Nov 23, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Looks like a old Grnerag gas valve. Those are 750 millivolt powered units. They use a pilot generator like this I believe.
    Attached Images

Nov 23, 2009, 03:45 PM

So replace the power generators with this kit? Do you sell them?

Nov 23, 2009, 07:53 PM
    No I do not sell them but you can buy them on eBay and places like Grainger. Before you start replacing parts you need to test them to see if they are bad or you will be tossing your money away for nothing.

Nov 23, 2009, 10:09 PM

Thanks. I will do that. Is there an easy way for you to explain to me how to test, or perhaps more importantly, how the part works to light all the burners (and why they are not lighting even though gas is flowing and pilot is on). I appreciate all your help.

Nov 24, 2009, 01:21 AM
    I feel it is in your best interests for you to call a on site professional to take it from here. With a combination of problems you are having and the situation with the non 100% gas shut off (now illegal) safety devices along with the incomplete combustion problems (very dangerous) and burner poping (a sign of damaged or misaligned orifices/burners) the scope or combination of the proper repairs are out of your ability to repair safetly. Not being mean here just stating the facts and my fear that you will get hurt in the process of repairing these old units.

The old pot type burners need to be completely pulled and serviced then reassembled properly to start with then a new combination gas safety valve needs to be installed for your safety at a minimum. Also during that time the heat exchange sections should be inspected for thinning of metal/cast and cracks. I am making this statement for your safety as well as the safety for all who live and sleep in this structure. Being penny wise is pound foolish under these circumstances. If you plan on keeping these units I suggest you purchase CO detectors. CO detectors/alarms are always a good idea but especially with these old furnaces.

Just looking out for your safety.
    Attached Images

Nov 24, 2009, 03:33 AM

Thanks. Will heed your advice.
    RMBRO1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 02:50 PM
    To answer my own question about the gravity furnace not kicking on, I had the cold air return partially covered. I uncovered it and the furnace kick right on.

Dec 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
    I never new you had posted a question?
    oaktowntrey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Hello JF, we have the same furnace you have up here in Oakland, CA. We have a problem with on of our burners on our unit, but the rest of it is still working well. Did you have any luck locating parts for this unit? If you still have one of the units in non-working condition can I buy some parts of you?

Oct 24, 2010, 06:35 AM
    I was able to find someone to repair both units and they are in good order at this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman pilot light on but furnace burners will not come on? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Goodman furance that will not produce heat. The pilot light is on, the gas is released, but the burners will not kick in. Do you have any idea what is causing this problem.:confused: Scott's Chicago

Gravity floor furnace--pilot [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a Bryant heater that is the gravity floor type. THe instructions to relight have worn away and I can't afford a new furnace right now. I think it is the pilot light. Any ideas how to relight it? It says something on the print about holding for 5 min? Thanks!:)

Pilot on furnace on but burners won't come on [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace is having some trouble. The pilot is on but the burners won't light. I was wondering if there is a simple solution to this problem. I'm trying to avoid expensive fixes if at all possible. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Furnace pilot is on, but burners do not ignite [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier furnace 201BB and the pilot comes on but theburners do not ignite all the time. What can I do. Is there a part that needs changed. HELP

Furnace trouble. Pilot lights. Burners light but then go out. Evetually stay on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I searched through this site a bit and found some helpful topics, tried a few things and I'm still have the same trouble. I have a Bryant furnace that uses a Johnson Controls G779LHA-1C Ignition Control. The ignition control is new, I just replaced it a week ago. It's hooked up so...

View more questions Search