Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justinfrutos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Upgrading oil
    Hi my name is justin. I have a 94 honda accord 2.2 liter v-tec I recently change my oil and upgraded 10w30 motor oil to 15w40 motor oil will 15w40 oil affect anything in the long run to the engine. ii get 135 miles on the car every day because I commute a long distance to work. I open it up meaning going 125 every other day. Can you tell me every thing you know about upgrading oil to my car and if it will really damage anything if so what can it damage.and if 15w40 is good for my car, or what you can recommend to me. THANKS
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Nov 8, 2009, 10:40 AM

You're going to hear a lot about oils. Regardless, the best idea is to use the viscosity that Honda recommends. 15w-40 is a heavier oil than 10w-30. It won't flow as well in the winter or when cold. That means it won't lube as well and that can cause damage.

So, no. 15w-40 may not be good for your car. In fact, if it was a newer car it would probably damage it. The clearances in newer engines are very small. FYI, a lot of new cars use only 5w-20.

Use what Honda recommends. They designed the engine and know what it should have in it. Just keep changing the oil and the filter (at every oil change), but even at that, with 125 mile trips, your oil should be in pretty good shape. It's the short trips that contaminate it.

Hope that helps.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 01:51 PM

Honda's preferred viscosity for your Accord is 5W-30; however, 10W-30 is fine. If I were you, I would use full-synthetic 5W-30 (e.g. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Amsoil). These will give you substantially better protection, gas mileage, and a host of other benefits. Upgrade to a premium filter (e.g. Purolator PureOne, Mobil 1, or Amsoil Ea) and change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

15W-40 will generate a little bit more heat and decrease your gas mileage by about 2 mpg. Oil pressure will also not build as fast, which is important in cold weather.

Here are some other maintenance tips that should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Heat Odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new house with a forced hot air oil heating system, and after having lived in it for only a few weeks I've noticed that there is an oil odor that is permeating the entire house. The odor is coming through the heat registers when the furnace fires. What could be causing this, and how is...

Upgrading my RAM [ 8 Answers ]

Right now I have a dell XPS M140 laptop. It is currently running PC2-3200 1 GB RAM and I just bought Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200). This is an upgrade I have been wanting to do for a while. I am not exactly sure what all this will help? Any thoughts would be...

Upgrading a 100 amp to a 200 amp [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought my first house and I've received different advice from my inspector and different electricians about the need to upgrade my breaker panel from a 100 amp to a 200 amp. My home is approximately 1800 square feet. We only have a high efficiency washer/dryer, a refrigerator and 2 small...

Upgrading to USB 2.0 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Gateway 710XL tower purchased in 2003 (guess that makes it old). All of the USB ports (2 in front, 4 in back) are USB 1.0 and I would like to upgrade to USB 2.0. Can I do that with some sort of connection "card" or is that a function handled in the motherboard (MoBo) as my geek squad says?...

View more questions Search