Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Debbie R Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Leaking hot water, outside the house
    One of my husband's friends is having this problem. The kitchen sink has some sort of pipe that vents to the outside wall of the house. The sink is set up against this wall. The pipe on the outside of the house is dripping hot water, in a fairly steady stream. If any faucet in the house is turned on, the leak stops. My husband says the pipe does not seem to be directly attached to the hot water heater. I've never heard of this problem before. Any suggestions on what is the cause? What is the solution?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Hi Debbie,

It can only be from the T & P (Temperature and Pressure) valve from the heater. To check have him pull up on the lever and let some water out. Water should come shooting out if that's the case. One explanation might be a check valve or back flow preventer installed on the water service.
    When new codes forced us to install check valves and backflow preventers on water service lines that made the water system a closed system. That meant that when the heated water expended it could no longer expand back along the water service line and would build up pressure in the syatem. This would kick off the T & P ,(Temperature and Pressure Relief) valve and the valve would discharge hot water out the relief line. To prevent this we installed a Expansion,(Air) tank on the heaters cold water supply line for some place for the water to expand to. It's either that or a faulty T & P valve.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure - entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I've read many of the other posts, and I'm somewhat re-assured that I'm not the only one having problems with hot water pressure. For confirmation, here's my problem: I have a standard gas hot water heater in my basement; throughout the entire house my hot water pressure has recently dropped...

Very Low Hot Water Pressure in entire house [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Please Help!! I have very very low hot water pressure in my whole house. I have flushed out my hot water heater and it came gushing out clear from the bottom of my hot water heater. I had a friend’s Dad come over and he tried something things to rule out possibilities. He took the...

No hot water to whole house :eek: [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I have a problem with the hot water in my house... there isn't any. :eek: We have a tankless system, as opposed to a separate hot water heater. Over the years, the pressure of our hot water has decreased, now to the point where there is virtually no pressure and no hot water in any of the...

Low hot water pressure in house [ 1 Answers ]

Hot water pressure low from relatively new gas hot water heater. House built in 1914... not the best in pipes, but any ideas on improving pressure. Have good valve from water pipe. Suggestions?:confused:

Hot water leaking [ 1 Answers ]

The hotwater on my kitchen sink leaks even when the hot water knob is turned off tightly. It doesn't drip it leaks a good bit. So every time I need hot water from this sink I have to turn the waterline on and off. If this is an easy fix what do I need to do to stop this problem.

View more questions Search